Firewall Protection

Thread: Firewall Protection

Firewall Protection

When I click on windows security alerts its says firewall is off. It says windows detects that your computer is not currently protected by a firewall. Then it says click recommendations. Then it says turn on all windows firewall for all network connections. I click enable now and it says we're sorry the security system could not turn on windows firewall. Then it says try turning on the firewall yourself by going to control panel and clicking the firewall. Then it says do you want to start windows firewall. Then i click yes and it says it can't start it. What do i need to do so i can turn on my firewall? I don't know what to do. Thanks

Have you ran all your spyware programs and cleared temp files. Do this in safe mode and turn off system restore. Then try again.

Obviously you have windows XP so I would try this
    Go to Start then Run
    Type in CMD and then hit enter
    A black box appears with a blinking cursor.
    Type chkdsk /r
    being sure there is a space between the end of chkdsk and the /
    Hit enter
    It will say windows cant check this volume now because it is locked. Do you want to check the disk on the next reboot. You choose Y for yes
    and then hit enter> Then it says disk will be checked on next reboot. Close that window and then reboot.
    It will take a little while to complete
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Just for your information Jon this is what CHKDSK /R will perform.
    Running a full CHKDSK (with “/F” and “/R” switches) will repair all file system data, restoring all user data that can be recovered by means of an automated process. The full CHKDSK can require several hours of downtime.

Why are folks on about chkdsk ?

To turn on the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service (that's its full name), you need to make sure its dependencies (on other services) are met, & to get this particular service up & running, I believe you also need the following turned on 'Dcom server process launcher' & RPC (remote proceedure call - both of which folks have a habit of turning off).

Lack of these services being on in the only reason I can think of why your pc would specifically tell you it can't turn the firewall service on & not produce some other error ..

Anyways this is all accademic ! ... The windows firewall is 'pants' ! (it only protects against 'ins' - so if you've got any trojans or viruses already, its no damn good ! ) - try something like Kerio, ZA or Outpost - much better

what else can i do none of that worked? Please tell me something else I can do to fix this problem thankz

Why use a firewall that lacks amy protection at all? Use sygate or as suggested. Did you run all your spyware progys and all as I suggested above?

By the way. Have you recently updated to sp2 or anything like that or did it just quit?
    Last edited by Kodiak; May 29th, 2005 at 08:57 AM.