QoS Gateways

Thread: QoS Gateways

QoS Gateways

Hi guys

I am looking for an inexepensive wireless gateway (for a small home network) that supports some kind of QoS, mainly for IP-telephony, but it would be very cool to be able to control the exact bandwidth consumption by each client. Can anyone recommend a product like this?

What exactly is QoS anyway? Is it just a way to give certain types of traffic a higher priority, or is it the ability to control the exact bandwidth usage of each client? If you want the later option exactly how would you 'google' it?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrej
    Hi guys

I am looking for an inexepensive wireless gateway (for a small home network) that supports some kind of QoS, mainly for IP-telephony, but it would be very cool to be able to control the exact bandwidth consumption by each client. Can anyone recommend a product like this?

What exactly is QoS anyway? Is it just a way to give certain types of traffic a higher priority, or is it the ability to control the exact bandwidth usage of each client? If you want the later option exactly how would you 'google' it?
    QoS stands for Quality of Service. Some things (like voice and video) rely on having very little lag, so QoS allows you to tag certain types of traffic to make sure it is treated with a highr priority. Linksys has several models that can provide QoS, but keep in mind that there is no such thing as QoS over the internet. The only way to get QoS is to connect to a private infrastructure (e.g. your local phone provider)

If I'm understanding your other question, the term you are looking for is "bandwidth shaping".

If you want the lowdown on Qos (Quality of service) read: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...to_doc/qos.htm

If you still want to implement it in a small home network, I think you should lie down until the feeling goes away. Unless you just want to do it for grins. Then you need to lie down for a longer period of time.

...Thanks guys!

I found a nice wireless router that supports QoS, so my IP-phone hopefully won't lag (http://www.zyxel.com/product/model.p...ue=1021876908). None of the routers I have been looking at seems to support the 'bandwidth shaping' though. I wouldn't have thought that it would be so difficult to have a router distribute the available WAN-bandwidth between the LAN-clients...but apparently it is...

Quote Originally Posted by Chrej
    ...Thanks guys!

I found a nice wireless router that supports QoS, so my IP-phone hopefully won't lag (http://www.zyxel.com/product/model.p...ue=1021876908). None of the routers I have been looking at seems to support the 'bandwidth shaping' though. I wouldn't have thought that it would be so difficult to have a router distribute the available WAN-bandwidth between the LAN-clients...but apparently it is...

Yea, bandwidth shaping is typically found on business class equipment. I'm sure it will eventually make its way to the SOHO market, but in the mean time I don't think the market really has enough need to make it worthwhile for the vendors.

Good luck with the jitter on your Ip Phone.