DVD+/-RW +/-R does not allow drag & drop

Thread: DVD+/-RW +/-R does not allow drag & drop

Question DVD+/-RW +/-R does not allow drag & drop

Situation:

My Dell Dimensions was equipped with CD ROM in first slot and CD-RW in second slot.

I removed first slop CD ROM and installed Dynex DVD reader writer. Set original CD ROM as primary and Dynex as secondary.

Also purchased Sony DRX 530UL external and it is powered by computer firewire connection.

I am copying photos from my harddrive to DVD for storage. If I put a blank dvd in Dynex Drive E or Sony Drive G and try to access by clicking on either drive in My Computer error message is E or G is not accessible. Incorrect function. So I cannot drag and drop. I can access, the CD-RW drive that was installed when I purchased my Dell and also can drag and drop and copy to CD from there.

The Dynex and the Sony will allow files to be added only through a s/w program. I use Nero.

Is there a reason for the invalid function error and not being able to drag and drop on the DVD drives?

I am using Verbatim +R blank. Also when I access the drive through my computer and select properties, it shows the blank disc as full.

Bev
    Last edited by bas1; June 30th, 2005 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Add info

Quote Originally Posted by bas1
    ..The Dynex and the Sony will allow files to be added only through a s/w program. I use Nero.

Is there a reason for the invalid function error and not being able to drag and drop on the DVD drives?
    Welcome to wd forums bev.

What o/s ? I pressume xp ? else you wouldn't be expecting 'drag & drop writing' to be working & would be talking about 'packet writing'..

The file systems used on hard drives, cd's & dvd's are all different, 'packet writing s/w' is s/w that provides the translation between these different file systems to allow you to use a cd/dvd as if it were effectively a hard drive.

XP has support for cd packet writing but not DVD packet writing, so from my initial reading of your symptoms, I'd say you are just short of a bit of s/w & everything is ok & that given your current setup 'invalid function' here is an 'expected' result

Nero have a packet writing product, its called InCD but it has problems with any post sp2 install of xp - link .

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Welcome to wd forums bev.

What o/s ? I pressume xp ? else you wouldn't be expecting 'drag & drop writing' to be working & would be talking about 'packet writing'..

The file systems used on hard drives, cd's & dvd's are all different, 'packet writing s/w' is s/w that provides the translation between these different file systems to allow you to use a cd/dvd as if it were effectively a hard drive.

XP has support for cd packet writing but not DVD packet writing, so from my initial reading of your symptoms, I'd say you are just short of a bit of s/w & everything is ok & that given your current setup 'invalid function' here is an 'expected' result

Nero have a packet writing product, its called InCD but it has problems with any post sp2 install of xp - link .
    Confus-ed, Thank you very much for your response. I can relax now knowing that there is nothing for me to fix.

Yes, I am running XP Home and SP2. I was having all kinds of problems with Nero. My system kept crashing. So I took advantage of the opportunity to "send error report to Microsoft". They actually sent me a fix, telling me to download a later version of Nero, Nero 6 Ultra Version 6.6. Since doing that I have had no crashes. Nero will work with both DVD units, Sony and Dynex and Nero does allow me to drap and drop when using Nero SmartStart.

Thank you. This is a great forum for help!. Do you know if I can load Nero and leave Roxio installed? Desktop has only Nero but laptop had Roxio and SonicNow. I would like to delete Sonic Now and install Nero.

Also, I had Roxio on my desktop that is now running Nero and had to uninstall Roxio before loading Roxio. There was a program that I had to run after uninstalling Roxio and before installing Nero that I cannot remember the name of. I guess I would have to do the same for my laptop?

Bev
    Last edited by bas1; July 1st, 2005 at 07:14 AM. Reason: add info

Thank you. This is a great forum for help!. Do you know if I can load Nero and leave Roxio installed?
    You are welcome, thats the point of the place

You can load lots of burning programs at once as long as you are aware that updates to any of them or windows might might mean your drives are prone to 'random disappearances' (there's a pretty easy fix, but it can be annoying !), this because of things called class filter drivers (each burning program adds its own 'driver' at startup to do its burning functions) which windoze can have problems with..