New user trying to USB, half lucky

Thread: New user trying to USB, half lucky

New user trying to USB, half lucky

I bought a nice little Sony DCR-HC32 Handycam, came with a barely explained "Picture Package". When I first installed it, I was able to download a movie. Now I can see the live image from the camera on my computer ("USB Streaming Tool") but can neither see a tape that was recorded or download anything ("Video Capturing Tool") - it says my camera wasn't detected. How could it be detected in one mode and not the other? I even went to SONY online and installed a new USB driver but that did nothing. And while we're at it, is it possible to copy a movie from my computer back onto the mini tape?
    Tx
    Naomin

hmmm

I had to install the Sony USB driver as well, once I did that the camera shows up as a device but you have to have it set up in USB mode. Sony makes this a little hard IMHO.

Sounds like you've gotten this far - good.

I didn't install the software that came with the camera, I've used MS movie maker that comes with XP and Arcsoft showbiz - both allowed me to capture the video stream. If you have XP try the movie maker software and see if that allows you to capture. Based on my experience you can't access the camera like a disk drive or copy files back and forth like you can with a digital still camera.

If you're still stuck I can doublecheck my camera and get back with you later.