Blank cdr's are showing up as full

Thread: Blank cdr's are showing up as full

Hybrid View

Blank cdr's are showing up as full

I have a Microtek computer with an AMD 1.5 ghz Sempron 2200+ processor. and 128 mb ddr mem. It has a 250 gig hd set as master and an 80 as a slave, on the primary IDE cable. ON the other cable I have an I/O Magic cdrw burner 52x32x52set as master and an I/O Magic dvd burner(16x) set as slave. As long as I run either the cdrw or the dvdrw by themselves everything is fine. But with both of them connected, when I place a blank cdr in the cdrw they show up as full. I also use nero6. I've tried switching all harware around but nothing seems to help. I've used the same cdr's forever so I know it's not them. Microtek and I/O Magic tech support can't seem to help.
    Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Laura

Welcome to WD forums Laura .

So given what you've said, it would appear that your two writers don't want to share the same IDE channel (read as cable/wire)..

You can try experimenting with different combinations of connecting your devices up (so for instance cd & 80 gig hard disk on one channel, & DVD & 250 on the other) if all of your devices support IDT (Independent device timing, if it isn't supportted btw you may get a drop in speeds as your system uses a slower method for controlling i/o {pio instead of the faster DMA}, you need to check in windows that all devices are using 'dma if available').

OR you can consider buying an additional PCI IDE controller card (about $20 or so) which will let you run all your devices on seperate channels which is 'conceptually best'

(btw 'newest m/b bios' can also often help with these kinds of 'incompatability' issues ).

Thanks Confus-ed,
    I tried connecting the dvd burner and cd burner on separate cables as slaves to my hard drives. My cdrw is connected to my main hd. I spent an hour on the phone with I/O Magic since both burners are theirs. They tried everything they could think of to get my cdrw to work, even checking to see if I have the latest updates(which I did) when they found that out they told me it was a mobo issue. So I hung up the phone and calledthe people that made my computer(Microtek) they told me to update the BIOS. When I checked with ASRock (it's a K7s41gx) online I have the latest update for my bios. I'm so frustrated. Everything worked fine when the burners were by themselves. I don't see how two burners from the same company could conflict like this and show no errors under device manager. I went from having it say that the cdrw drive was not accessible to now telling me when i go to copy a cd that i need to insert a blank cd which is already in the drive. I/O Magic even went as far as to say that it was the discs I was using. I have always used memorex cdr's even when the cd burner was by itself, so I know that's not the problem.I can play cd's on the burner. I use Nero6 for my dvdburner but even that won't allow me to burn to cdrw.
    Laura

Seems to me minus any new bios being available, that you are left either running just one device, or you add an additional PCI IDE controller so you can run everything on seperate channels, thus overcoming the problems in bios - sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but this is a common problem, as motherboard manufacturers are often 'not interested' (in fixing bios issues like this) once the products are a bit older .

Wait, are you saying you cant burn to cdrw in your I/O magic dvd burner? I use both roxio and nero and can burn to either cd or dvd with both on mine, (also this eliminates the need for 2 optical drives.)I'd return the dvd and see if another one experiences the same problem.....
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

Quote Originally Posted by Ahcoraj
    ..I'd return the dvd and see if another one experiences the same problem.....
    Both devices work ok seperately, but not together ..

..as long as I run either the cdrw or the dvdrw by themselves everything is fine...

then why do you need both if the dvd burner works fine? It does everything the CD-RW Does.....
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

Quote Originally Posted by Ahcoraj
    then why do you need both if the dvd burner works fine?
    So that you can do cd copying 'on the fly' ? (where you do direct disk copy without writing to hard disk first, which is a bit quicker ) .. maybe laura just wanted both units working like they should .. ?