PLEASE Someone HELP with DVD Burner
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE Someone HELP with DVD Burner

PLEASE Someone HELP with DVD Burner

Hello Ok I have 2 DVD Burners one is a lite on 16x+R/+RW DOUBLE LAYER witch i did not know was a Double Layer till tonight and iv had it for about 4 months.The other Burner is a MAGICSPIN RW if there is a drive like that dont know for sure do'snt have the name on it.But any ways i had the Nagicspin first and about 6 months after i had it it stoped reading DVDs and i couldnt get it to read Blank DVDs so got the light on well Installed the light on and Hold and behold they BOTH worked, well i had to reinstall windows XP home and thats when they started to not read Blank DVDs. so i unhooked the Magicsoin and the light on started reading them again. well i now have WINDOWS XP MEDIA 2005 an AMD 2600xp p and 1 GB of MEM and iv tryed for a week now to get eather one to Read Blank DVDs.NOW heres the thing if i have both hooked up the lite on wont read the DVDs i have aready put files on before all this but the magicspin will BUT STLL eather one of them will read a Blank DVD iv used ever Burner Program out and still cant Read them iv Tried -R +R RW so one and still cant!!!!!! When i had Nero 6 installed it said the Drives could read DVD+R DVD -R DVDRW Now They Both can read Blank CDs any kind Plus iv Downloaded and installed the ASPI thing called adaptec ASPI and it says all the ASPI are installed and working i Dont get it can someone HELP me before i go Crazy iv wasted so much money on Blank DVDs i could of got a New computer by now Thanks if anyone can help me out

Update i just rebooted and now the Lite On will read a Blank DVD-R But wont Read a Blank DVD+Rand i have the Box Right in from of me and it say Lite on 16 x DVD+R/+RW Drive on the back it says DVD+R WRITING DVD=R DOUBLE LAYER WRITING DVD=RW REWRIGHTING CD-R WRIGHTING CD-RW REWRIGHTING AND CD-ROM READING ???????SO WHY IS IT NOT READING THE BLANK DVD+R BUT WILL READ THE -R AND THE OTHER DRIVE STILL WONT READ EATHER KIND
    Last edited by djruss; June 3rd, 2005 at 03:13 AM.

Good to know im not the only one who dosn;t understand this

Quote Originally Posted by djruss
    Good to know im not the only one who dosn;t understand this

I don't think it's the problem that no one understands. I tried to read it, honestly I did, but I got a headache trying to decipher your post. I know we're not in school, but proper punctuation, spelling, grammar and a clearly laid out post do so much in helping us understand what problem your having.

Don't take it the wrong way, people here generally love to help. From my perspective, I like to help people, but only those whose posts I can read.

Well, even though this article doesn't describe your exact errors, I think it will probably fix them. Go to: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;314060 and follow the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by shanff
    I don't think it's the problem that no one understands. I tried to read it, honestly I did, but I got a headache trying to decipher your post. I know we're not in school, but proper punctuation, spelling, grammar and a clearly laid out post do so much in helping us understand what problem your having.

Don't take it the wrong way, people here generally love to help. From my perspective, I like to help people, but only those whose posts I can read.

Yes, I have to agree.

I did manage to make it through the post though, and if I understood correctly, it sounds like a device conflict. Are both of the drives on the same cable? Many burners do not like to share cables, they act erratically if they are not master on the channel they are plugged into. Try that first.

Well, DUH, who ever thinks of the OBVIOUS things like jumper settings! Good call. Should have been the first thing to check. Time to retire. of course it could still be filter drivers. No more Benadryl for me!
    Last edited by slgrieb; June 3rd, 2005 at 06:26 PM.

Well each there own lol new some one would have something bad to say. But yes iv have them both on the same cable. Iv changed the jumppers to master on both and slave on bath even try CS but even if i only hook one DVD Drive up it still wont read Blank DVDs and if both are hook up one will read CDs that i have burned stuff to and the other wont maybe i should put one on each cable????

..But yes iv have them both on the same cable. Iv changed the jumppers to master on both and slave on bath even try CS but even if i only hook one DVD Drive up it still wont read Blank DVDs and if both are hook up one will read CDs that i have burned stuff to and the other wont maybe i should put one on each cable????
    Errr you don't change the jumpers to be "master on both and slave on bath " if you want them to work correctly, no matter how you speil it

Maybe this can help you understand ? Its a bit loooong .. but the edit-ed highlights are that, on any ide cable you generally set master on the first connection (The one furthest from where it plugs to your motherboard) & slave on the 'middle' (many manufacturers will recommend drives be set as the only one on that cable in this position)& you only try cable select with new 80 sense cables as a 'last restort' as it never got standardised & is prone to misbehave..

& btw dude, save your hair & your pocket, & buy a few rewriteables for testing !

I know one has to be master and one slave. sorry maybe it didnt sound right the way i said it.But iv reinstalled windows xp media again and with only one of the DVD Drives hooked up it still wont read any KIND of Blank DVD no matter if its +R-R RW but it Will Read any kind of Blank cd im at a lost here only thing i can tell that is Dif is when i restart my computer on start up it has something about Primary IDE 80 conductor not installed If i change my cable's around it will then say sec IDE 80 conductor not installed!!!!!!!!! Not sure what that is or means or is it has anything to do with the burner

The message you are getting is your ide controllers 'realising' they aren't getting a ground signal from pin 39, & so they 'know' whether they have a new style 80 sense cable or an old 40 sense cable plugged into them.

I'd try your prefered dvd on its own on the 'old' cable as secondary slave, & your hard drive as master on the primary with the new..

Thanks cunfus-ed iv had them ever witch way and no mater what one i put on eather cable or master or slave they just wont Read a Blank dvd i realy dont know what else to do But as for the 80 condutor thing that happen a few months after i built this computer with the old primary cable and i had to buy a new one now this other old one is saying the same thing but i dont think thats got to do with the DVD burner not working coz even if i hook it up to the new Cable they still dont read Blank dvds

OK guys got the new cable and the Primary IDE No 80 conductor has gone away.The DVD Burners still wont read Blank dvds oh so ill just leave it alone and maybe there start working on there own thanks for those who tryed to help

..ill just leave it alone and maybe there start working on there own thanks for those who tryed to help
    Sick of troubleshooting huh ? .. All I can guess is that you are doing something different with your installs, as you've had this working, then changed something & it hasn't etc - lots of layers in cd writing & if just one thing is wrong .. but I guess you know that !

yes they both have worked before they stoped working once before the dvdrw 1008im did so thats when i got the lite on burner. But as soon as i installed the lite on the other burner started working again. But now i went from windows xp home to windows xp media 2005 and well here i am i even tried going back to windows xp home last night and they still wont work. I tried to update the firmware on Both drives the lite on says its up todate the dvdrw 1008im did up date but that didnt help. i realy dont know what else to do and i dont want to buy another burner just to have me install it and these other two start working again but im still playing around with it oh

Thing is i have all my files backed up on DVD+R or DVD-R so i know they read them
    Last edited by djruss; June 5th, 2005 at 07:41 AM.

Ok got one last thing to ask this is what the Lite on box say the drive can do

Write:
    DVD+R 16X(21600KB/sec) maximum by CAV
    DVD-R 8X(10800KB/sec) maximum by Z-CLV
    DVD+R9 2.4X(3240KB/sec) maximum by CLV
    CD-R 48X(7200KB/sec) maximum by P-CAV
    ReWrite:
    DVD+RW 4X(5400KB/sec) by CLV
    DVD-RW 4X(5400KB/sec) by CLV
    CD-RW 24X(3600KB/sec) maximum by Z-CLV in UltraSpeed disc
    Read:
    DVD - 16X(21600KB/sec) maximum by CAV
    CD - 48X(7200KB/sec) maximum by CAV
    Access Time: 160ms
    Buffer Size: 2MB
    Compatibility:
    MS-Windows 98 / NT4.0 / ME / 2000 / XP
    MTBF (Life): 70000 Hours
    S/N Ration: >75dB
    -ATAPI/ E-IDE Half-Height internal DVD+R / DVD+RW / DVD-R / DVD-RW / DVD+R9/ DVD-ROM / CD-R/ CD-RW / CD-ROM combination drive
    -Support Double Layer DVD+R9 Recording Function

OK so i take it it can wright to DVD- and DVD+ or am i wrong and if it can say like the DVD- that i have they are DVD-R 16x i take it they wont work coz there not DVD-R 8X but the DVD+R that i have are 16x so wouldnt they work???? I would buy some of the Double Layer DVD+R9 but if these arnt working then why would those work and there not chip well if you guys have any ide let me know Thanks again