[RESOLVED] HP DeskJet 882C Problem

Thread: [RESOLVED] HP DeskJet 882C Problem

crkscrwe13

Question HP DeskJet 882C Problem

Basically, I'm trying to install this DeskJet 882C printer on a PII 450 machine running Windows 98 First Edition, and I'm having problems. I've got the latest driver edition, but whenever I hook up the USB cable so the computer can recognize the printer, it sees it as a DeskJet 895C, not an 882C. Consequently, it will not accept the 882C drivers. I can't use the DeskJet 895 drivers either, because there are no USB drivers available for that printer.

I just formatted and reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows 98, to no avail. Is there a fix for this, or am I going to have to switch over to using the parallel connection on the printer? Thank you.

-crkscrew13

IT Len

The 882C is one of the printers I use at home...first on 98SE and then ME without trouble. Assuming the following, 1] You've used the HP install disk to install as USB device, 2] When 98 first "sees" the printer, you've made sure you select HP drivers and not MS drivers, even if 98 says they're more recent. [I may be totally off base here, but I think the real solution is that 98 first edition has USB issues that require patches/drivers from the support site at MS.]

crkscrwe13

I am pointing it towards the HP drivers (I'm using ones downloaded off of their website), but I never get to the point of Windows saying that the one I'm choosing isn't written for the hardware. When I point it at the USB drivers (in the Win98USB directory, or whatever it's called), it just says it can't find anything it can use. Hope that helps.

-crkscrew13

IT Len

I would think, then that the next culprit is an out of date BIOS, which is critical to using USB devices. Have you checked to see if yours needs to be updated? Also, do you have any other USB devices that DO work on this system?