[RESOLVED] ReadIRIS OCR software a piece of crap or is it me?

Thread: [RESOLVED] ReadIRIS OCR software a piece of crap or is it me?

Randall

Question ReadIRIS OCR software a piece of crap or is it me?

I understand what OCR software is scanning text to a text file.

I have a HP PSC500 really it is a nice machine. It came with readiris OCR software. No matter what settings I get symbols instead of texts.

I have to sit here on freaking night clicking learn while it looks at every mark on a page and even then it looks like crap. Some words but mostly symbols or junk any ideas?

Is it me or is this OCR software a piece of crap? It came on the install disc along with my HP drivers.

I have never used OCR software before so is this normal?

MacGyver

Are you scanning at a high enough resolution for the OCR software to pick up the text?

I have used OCR software, but the last time was back in '94. I assume that OCR software has progressed quite a bit since then. It worked well at times, others it was faster to retype the whole document over because it would not be able to recognize all the characters

------------------
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

I have spoken to the dealer of Readiris in my country.
    They said you need to set the resolution to 300 DPI and the image has to be black&white.

The training has to be done, until it recognizes the most common font types. This is a painful procedure, but has to be done.

I thought Readiris is one of the best OCR software..!?!?!!

Good luck!

------------------
    March 25, 1821 - March 25, 2001
    180 years have passed since the Greek Revolution.
    180 years of being free, 180 years of being proud!

"We are enslaved and we suffer, but we will never stop following our forefathers' steps" - Rigas Velestinlis (Dec 12, 1790)

My Hardware Info, Hardware Media and Computer History page
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

Omnipage Pro and Textbridge Pro work pretty well under most conditions with a clean original. Almost never run into any training needs. My biggest experiment with OCR was scanning an entire book (small dimension paperback at 278 pages) and converting it to a searchable Word document. It went pretty well, very few errors and the Word spell check caught those. I've never even heard of readIris. Does someone bundle that with their scanner? I've only sold Microtek scanners since I got my first one in '88.

------------------
    Men's view of Women: All your sex are belong to us...
    Women's view of Men: All your attention, time, and money are belong to us....
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Randall

300dpi is the default. I even set it up to the max 800 still look like crap. I get half a page with text and the other half is garbage.

Randall

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sowulo:
    I've never even heard of readIris. Does someone bundle that with their scanner?
    [/B]</font>
    It came with my HP PSC500 (Printer,scanner,copier) I never had a scanner before. My last printer was the HP Deskjet 600c where I had to change from black to color when I printed. It cost me $300 5 years ago etc. It broke a year a go one day I open it to change the cart, and it would not slide back in place.

Anyway I promise myself next time I am getting the works so I got this Hp PSC500 for $250. The Readiris software look what can I say cheap. I never used a scanner and it works nice but this OCR software is crap.

Originally posted by Randall:
    It came with my HP PSC500 (Printer,scanner,copier) I never had a scanner before. My last printer was the HP Deskjet 600c where I had to change from black to color when I printed. It cost me $300 5 years ago etc. It broke a year a go one day I open it to change the cart, and it would not slide back in place.

Anyway I promise myself next time I am getting the works so I got this Hp PSC500 for $250. The Readiris software look what can I say cheap. I never used a scanner and it works nice but this OCR software is crap.
    If you're going to do a lot of OCR work you might want to see if Omnipage's usual competitive upgrade applies to your software and spend the $49 Caere Software charges.
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Originally posted by Randall:
    300dpi is the default. I even set it up to the max 800 still look like crap. I get half a page with text and the other half is garbage.

Have you completed the training procedure then?
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.