Problem with Pioneer DVR-108 DVD-RW

Thread: Problem with Pioneer DVR-108 DVD-RW

Pioneer DVR-108 DVD-RW doesn't read CDs/DVDs

Hello,

I recently updated my motherboard in my Pentium 4 computer (Windows SP2) to a ASUS P4v8x-x and had to reinstall windows afterwards. I have a Pioneer DVR-108 DVD-RW drive installed and it worked flawlessly until I reinstalled Windows after changing the motherboard. I suspect the drive was working until sometime after installing software (I know I used it to install some software after the new Windows installation). I am able to use the drive to reboot the computer and in safe mode; thus, I suspect some sort of software conflict is causing my problem. I cannot use the drive except in safe mode. The drive is recognized by Windows as a "DVD-RW drive" but as soon as I place any type of disc in (CD or DVD), Windows cannot read it, and Explorer will switch the drive to a "CD drive" and announce that there is a "blank CD" inserted in the drive (which is not true). As soon as I eject the disc, Windows recognizes the drive again as a "DVD-RW drive."

I tried reinstalling Windows to no avail. I also updated the drive firmware to the latest version. I have one other optical drive installed, an old ACER CD-RW drive, that is working fine.

Anyone have any idea what may be causing this problem?

Thanks,
    Mark
    Last edited by mrksmith; June 17th, 2005 at 06:40 PM.

Figured out the problem! It wasn't software related at all. For some reason, the Pioneer DVD-RW drive was conflicting with the old ACER CD-RW drive. I unplugged the ACER drive, and the DVD-RW drive started working.

Take care,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mrksmith
    ..Anyone have any idea what may be causing this problem?
    Welcome to WD forums Mark .. as you subsequently self-diagnosed, sometimes cd\dvd units just don't want to work together, generally you need an updated bios from your motherboard manufacturer (note not a firmware revision, that affects writing abilities, not 'detection' which is the issue here) if you can get both units working seperately but not together, its a very common problem ..