Shut down

Thread: Shut down

Shut down

Friend of mine called and he is having a problem I couldn't answer without seeing the PC and running tests first hand but I thought I would throw it out to you all and see what I can come up with for him.

He can be surfing the internet or just doing whatever and the monitor just goes blank like it is going into sleep mode or something. He says it won't do it if it is just sitting and only happens when surfing. All power is on but no monitor untill he reboots.

does other computer related periperhal work?
    click on Num/Caps/Scroll-lock and see if keyboard is working. - If you can ping or RD your computer from another one on the network while it does this behaviour should help you to get this solved.

Good Luck,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

After a little searching around and making some suggestions on things he can check for I found out he was running an old monitor with a 9800 ati that couldn't handle the resolution and upon trying a better monitor everything is running peachy. Ahhh the computer world.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak
    After a little searching around and making some suggestions on things he can check for I found out he was running an old monitor with a 9800 ati that couldn't handle the resolution and upon trying a better monitor everything is running peachy. Ahhh the computer world.
    The monitor was likely going bad. If it was just the resolution it wouldn't go blank...but would overlay the picture on top of itself. If the refresh was too high it would likely look fuzzy also.
    AMD Athon 64 X2 4400+, Corsair XMS Pro XL 3200, XFX 7800GTX OC, Raptor 74GB 10k RPM, Abit Fatality A8N SLI

I have done this myself with old monitors. If you keep turning up the res it will go blank and do nothing but then it would just go completely blank not run for a while and then go blank so your probably right.