some folders share some don't
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: some folders share some don't

some folders share some don't

This is very weired. The are a number of folders trhat I am unable to share files from. C:\program files ; c:\windows ; c:\documents and settings\SPECIFIC USER ; Setting up the c:\ at the root to share got me the above results. When I go back and try to share the specific folder in question I still have the same problem.

So, I can move a file to a folder I can share but that's a drag. Oridnarily you wouldn't share at the root. But this is a small home network where I need to service the kids, my wife, and our computerized dog (that's another story) but you get the idea. I want to be able to roam over each machine and not being able to share fiiles from these locations is a problem.

Any one have a solution? Is this an nfts file problem? I'm running 3 xp machines service pak 2.

You need local admin rights to access those files

just use the \\computer name\c$ as an access point to get to the rest of the files
    "GOOD 2 GO"

thanks for your answer but....

Quote Originally Posted by LaSERCHiPs
    You need local admin rights to access those files

just use the \\computer name\c$ as an access point to get to the rest of the files

I have no idea what you mean!!! At what point am I given the option to use an access point, and what the heck is an access point to begin with??? The folder is set up to share all I do is click on a file or a folder then I get the access denied message.

So just ignoring your 'not understandingness' for a moment, are you using 'simple file sharing' in XP home edition ?

'Cos if you are .. you aren't allowed to share those folders no matter what class of user you may have logged on as - you need XP pro to be able to use sharing 'fully' as you need an ACL (access control list, so this is all to do with permissions control) ..

been there done that

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    So just ignoring your 'not understandingness' for a moment, are you using 'simple file sharing' in XP home edition ?

'Cos if you are .. you aren't allowed to share those folders no matter what class of user you may have logged on as - you need XP pro to be able to use sharing 'fully' as you need an ACL (access control list, so this is all to do with permissions control) ..

Thanks for the reply. I am using XP pro with service pack 2. Simple file sharing is unchecked. What's odd is I have 3 xp pro machines. I am able to see these files on one of the machines but not the other two. I can't for the life of me find the difference in the settings between the two machines, although the software installed on the machines is quite different. Any other ideas?

xp_filesharing for reference/others & How to configure file sharing in Windows XP

Quote Originally Posted by rss
    ..What's odd is I have 3 xp pro machines. I am able to see these files on one of the machines but not the other two. I can't for the life of me find the difference in the settings between the two machines..
    Must be some, he says no doubt annoyingly

c:\documents and settings\SPECIFIC USER
    What do you mean by that ? Do you mean you can't get to the 'my documents' folder for each user when logged in as admin ? That's by design & is supposed to happen if you originally had simple file sharing on (which you will have had, as it comes turned on unless you join a domain)...read the section headed "Sharing folders in My Documents" from my first link.

What errors are the 2 errant machines returning ? The exact wording please ..

jpg's for your reading pleasure

xp_filesharing for reference/others & How to configure file sharing in Windows XP

Must be some, he says no doubt annoyingly

What do you mean by that ? Do you mean you can't get to the 'my documents' folder for each user when logged in as admin ? That's by design & is supposed to happen if you originally had simple file sharing on (which you will have had, as it comes turned on unless you join a domain)...read the section headed "Sharing folders in My Documents" from my first link.

What errors are the 2 errant machines returning ? The exact wording please ..
    Thanks again for your help. I've attached two pictures that show what's happening. The first one is the access denied message when I try to connect tp my PUMA2 machine and try to access c:\program files --> ACCESS DENNIED. The second is what happens when I do the same thing on my WHALE machine --> no problem. What is going on???

the pum2 snapshot said:

\\Puma2\Program Files is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Access is denied.

The second picture was just a screen shot of windows explorer showing the connection to whale\program files. Now interestingly, I do not have many folders under program files on the whale machine. Only netscape which is not being used and may not even be installed.
    Last edited by rss; June 17th, 2005 at 09:46 AM. Reason: jpgs too large but here's what they said

I've attached two pictures that show what's happening.
    Err ummm .. no you haven't

Can't upload to this site , if you can't host yourself at home, try something like this http://tinypic.com/

tinypics

Err ummm .. no you haven't

Can't upload to this site , if you can't host yourself at home, try something like this http://tinypic.com/

http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=63y539

http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=63y7ba

let me know if those help i.e. did you get them

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    What does the ownership of the folders looks like ???

ownership

Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute
    What does the ownership of the folders looks like ???
    How do I determine ownership of folders? Under properties all types of users associated with TIGER get access to everything but it doesn't say anything about users from other computers. For the WHALE machine uner properties I don't get a security tab as I'm not viewing the folder from that machine but from the TIGER machine.

How do I determine ownership of folders? Under properties all types of users associated with TIGER get access to everything but it doesn't say anything about users from other computers. For the WHALE machine uner properties I don't get a security tab as I'm not viewing the folder from that machine but from the TIGER machine.
    You need to be physically in front of the machine the folder resides on, browse to the folder, right-click, choose properties. Then choose the Security tab, click the Advanced button, and then the Owner tab.

Case Closed

Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute
    You need to be physically in front of the machine the folder resides on, browse to the folder, right-click, choose properties. Then choose the Security tab, click the Advanced button, and then the Owner tab.

Thank you. When you go to properties and add EVERYONE and not have that ties to a particular machine and give full control you can access the files from anywhere. I suspect that will also work with user files for specific id's. Only advise doing this when you're the King of the Castle. CASE CLOSED

Cool - If you set your share persmissions properly, you should be fine.

Its fixed .. good stuff

BUT
    ..When you go to properties and add EVERYONE ..
    should that not have been on anyways ? I thought when you shared it always added the group 'everyone', unless, he says realising, you removed it & tried to add user names ?