Help Restarting and Overheating

Thread: Help Restarting and Overheating

Help Restarting and Overheating

Hi guys I wonder if anybody could help me I recently upgraded to a P4 3.2 and 865PERL board and have started to have some weird problems when left idle the CPU an go from 42 to 60 degrees but is always intermitent sometimes it can be left 1 day and it will do this and then other times it has run 4 days before over heating but now for the other problem when I go to shutdown in windows XP Pro
    it shutsdown but just as its about to power off will just reboot as if i'd pressed the power on button if I press the power button to power off it does so no problem with the power button. I have since upgraded my case to a Lian-Li V1100 and power supply to a silenx 520w but still getting the same problem I'm thinking CPU or Board any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I think your MOBO is bad.

Have you checked your bios for any thermal controls, fan shutoff, quiet mode or other settings? this may be shutting off your fan at inappropriate times....I'd check there first
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

The #1 cause of spontaneous reboots is memory...whether it's bad or getting heat from the cpu. I wouldn't trust the mainboard's temp reading....atleast get a bios update and then check the reading. Have you cleaned/blown out your heatsink/fan for the cpu? BTW...140 Farenheight (60 Celcius) isn't too hot for those egg frying Intels.
    AMD Athon 64 X2 4400+, Corsair XMS Pro XL 3200, XFX 7800GTX OC, Raptor 74GB 10k RPM, Abit Fatality A8N SLI