semprons and heat

Thread: semprons and heat

semprons and heat

I have just built a sempron 2600+ and it seems to be running hot. it's around 50-55C according to the hardware monitor in the bios. I thought I remember reading that AMD's run hotter ( as in 75-90C ) but not sure and don't have a lot of experience with AMD's. the air in the case doesn't seem extremely hot nor does the air coming out the back..... I'm just using the stock heatsink and fan though I don't plan to overclock so I hope that isn't an issue. Any input would be appreciated.
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

http://forums.amd.com/lofiversion/index.php/t45010.html

Good list way down the page.

Simplest check, the Heat Sink and fan are properly seated and that the thermal paste is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shard92
    I have just built a sempron 2600+ and it seems to be running hot. it's around 50-55C according to the hardware monitor in the bios. I thought I remember reading that AMD's run hotter ( as in 75-90C ) ...
    Semprons seem to be rated to 90 degrees C - Thermal & electrical specification AMD sempron Processors (pdf) .. so I guess that 50-55 with a 'stock fan' is about right & is apparently well inside tolerance

Yes, that is a bit hot for a Sempron 2600, but not dangerously hot. What kind of heatsink/fan combo do you have? What thermal interface (tape, Artic Silver, etc.). Is "Cool 'n Quiet" enabled in the BIOS and are drivers installed? Finally, how hot is the environment?

Quote Originally Posted by Shard92
    I have just built a sempron 2600+ and it seems to be running hot. it's around 50-55C according to the hardware monitor in the bios. I thought I remember reading that AMD's run hotter ( as in 75-90C ) but not sure and don't have a lot of experience with AMD's. the air in the case doesn't seem extremely hot nor does the air coming out the back..... I'm just using the stock heatsink and fan though I don't plan to overclock so I hope that isn't an issue. Any input would be appreciated.
    50-55c is perfect for your setup. Most people I know hover around 59-63c on idle. So you have nothing to worry about.

TIP: When you start seeing 68 and up, that will be your flirst clue that you need to clean your heat sink..

Alot can also depend on the case you are using and how well it vents the heat. Even though it doesnt fell hot i would advise a intake fan down low in the front and a extra exhaust fan blowing out at the back top just under the PSU. Its not absolutely nessecary because your temps arent too bad. But less heat is allways a good thing. Just be sure you purchase good quality fans and they wont add too much noise to the total. Also the stock HSF is pretty decent with semprons but you can do better without spending a ton. I have built several semprons lately and they are averageing 46 to 50C
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Alot can also depend on..
    .. Room temperature , most especially if your cooling is only 'adequate' so 'stock' fans look ok in the winter & generate questions in the summer !

I just did one & it came out 50-55 & I thought that's a tiny bit hot .. & then I remembered this thread, then I remembered its also 28 C in my house in the first place !

I have an AMD XP 2800+ that was running a stock fan/cooler with that white gooey junk that comes with it. It ran at about 50c/115+F(?), till the bearings started to die, then it started climbing to about 55c+. Bought a thermaltake unit and put some grease on it that is 99% pure something, shop guy gave me a free tube. Runs about $8 or $9 a tube. Now it runs around 40c/104F. Wodnerful.

I'd say about 1/3 of the systems I've been dealing with for the past 2 weeks have something to do with overheating... most of the time a good spray with the air gun and they work fine and dandy afterwards... we have a number of customers without air conditioning... I went over to a house last week and my god the room was an oven... about 30C... a really good clean, two extra fans and arctic silver and it brought the overheating processor to a stable enough temperature... I told her not to leave it on and try to use it in the mornings and eveningns and she was ok with it... then we even have customers with wood furnance heating... OMG... nothing more hair raising than opening up a computer and seeing everything coverd with ta think pile of soot... We have a clause in our warranty that if you have a wood stove we need to have the computer in every 4 months for a clean... first one is free the others cost money... and before anyone starts screaming about charging for warranty I have something to say... heating a home with a wood furnance costs in and around $400 for the entire winter (around here it's usually end of october till about end of april which is 6 months, they can afford a cleaning cost for the computer... so now that my rant is done and my lunch hour is up I will stop...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

update

Well I've run my system a bit and it still sits between 50 and 55 C according to the hardware monitor. Even when the outside temp got rather high ( for here anyway ) and it's been running rock solid and the heatsink is still just warm after a few hours of play ( I'm not a hi-end gamer however ). I think I just have a bad bios sensor or something..... I'll monitor it but I'm feeling alot more comfortable with it.

I'm usually quite carefull about running the computer when it is too hot ( or too humid ) and I NEVER leave it on ( or plugged in.... especially in summer with these sudden T-storms ) I did run it the other day when it was rather hot but it was kind of a test to see how well she was doing. Maybe when I get a chance I'll replace the HSF with something better but right now it seems to be fine. For the most part I won't be taxing the computer much but I may getting into some ( minor ) video editing and eventually some higher end games..... oh and some cad..... TurboCad 8 is on the way.thanks for all the talk feel free to add more ideas and I'll let you know what developes ( if your interested

that's the range I say is ok.. 55 is just over my limit but can be ok...

perchance is the motherboard Asus?
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by arch0nmyc0n
    that's the range I say is ok.. 55 is just over my limit but can be ok...

perchance is the motherboard Asus?

MSI

I believe it was this board.... it is a Km400 or km400a chipset so it might not be this exact I'll have to look again when I get home. there's a few that look a lot alike

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...73#DetailSpecs

I guess I figure if the heatsink ( after being on 2+ hrs ) is barely warm to the touch, either it's working well or it's very poor and should be burning up.... so I guess I'm alright.

as far as the 55c I only saw it at that once and that was when I very first turned it on?!? Now it's usually around 52..... anyway I'm looking at getting better cooling but I'm not considering absolutley critical at the moment. ( I'll let my credit card recover a bit before I find something. )

Thanks again for the info/experience!!!

by the way up till now I"ve been a Intel man for the most part but I like my sempron..... thinking of getting a 64 to go with my SUSE....

Personally, I'd say that 50-55 isn't too bad, I'm running a 2500XP (which I think runs at the same clockspeed, but mine has a different fan on it), and I'm currently sitting on 58C, and often in the 60's.

Then again, I am Folding (go Team 24)

The faster Socket A CPU's are typically quite warm running, and standard HSF's are pretty sub-par. As soon as I can afford it, I'll be going for S754, maybe S939 if I can stretch for it. One of my friends has an A64 3000 S939, and it's nice and cool
    I'd be the village idiot, but that spot is already taken.

Note to self: No-one cares about your system specs

in case you are all still intereted. the other day the temps continued to climb so I pulled the hsf and scraped off the crap they had on there and cleaned it up and gooped it with some thermal compound I had ( artic silver look alike but it worked fine on the other processors I was using- the old stuff ) and the temps are dramatically different. 40C on boot and 52C after running awhile on a hot day. I'll still look into something better but that seems to have helped for the time being....