Why do so many prefer Nero over EZ CD/DVD?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why do so many prefer Nero over EZ CD/DVD?

Why do so many prefer Nero over EZ CD/DVD?

I have been using Easy CD/DVD since my first 2x CD writer about a decade ago because it came with it and I never had a problem, but on here I often see people say Easy CD/DVD is bad and nero is better.

Nero came with my new DVD writer and I installed it but kept using Easy CD. I removed them both and re-installed only Nero because of my DVDs failing that you might have read in another thread (which didn't solve the problem).

I now need to write a CD, in Easy CD I simply dragged and droped the file in windows explorer and direct CD (or whatever it's been renamed to, drag to disc I think) would burn them just as if it was a hard drive and I then just ejected the CD, for CDs I often make more copies of like my software I sell, I used Easy CD Creator and made a template which I simply opened and clicked burn.

Now that I removed Easy CD I tried to do it in Nero Express but it only lets me write DVDs, so I tried Nero burning ROM and I have to select about 7 million settings I never heard of just to be able to start the CD project, like ISO 9660, ISO 9660 1999, ISO 9660 joliet, File Name Level 1 or 2, 3 choices of character sets, and 4 other options.

What the heck are all these settings? Why can't I just select my files and burn them? I really don't see how people can prefer this software when you need to select a zillion options most users most likely never heard of, I haven't had to select any of those settings in a decade of CD burning, why is it so complicated in Nero? Why is it recommended over Easy CD? The only thing I prefer with Nero is the NeroVision Express DVD creator, even though it did nothing but ruin all my 4 test DVDs I had, but I don't think Nero is the cause of this problem.

Anyway I think I'll go back to Easy CD for my CDs unless someone can help me with these million options I need to choose before Nero will let me burn a CD.

Thanks

Another thing: Nero doesn't support normal keyboard access like pressing enter to open a file/folder or pressing the first letter of a name to jump to that one in many of the dialogs.

Another thing: What the hack is power burn? There is no tooltip to explain it and the help option doesn't do anything when I clcik it.

Another thing: I renames all my files to all uppercase, and even if I rename a file in Nero Burning ROM in the section of files to be burnt, it puts the original name on the disc instead, this software is far too buggy and I am returning to Easy CD/DVD creator that actually works properly.

Please don't bother helping me with this garbage software, I won't be using it anymore.

Aha! I found the problem on google:
    "Results 1 - 10 of about 76,100 for nero sucks"

Maybe I dreamed reading good things about it? Oh well, I'm going back to Easy CD, I might use NeroVision Express for making a DVD if I can actually get it to work.

I guess it is all matter of personal preference...
    I started using Adaptec Easy CD Creator since version 3, then used version 4D (Deluxe), but later found Cequadrat WinOnCD 3.8 Deluxe working better and used them both for some time... But since both developers were taken over by Roxio, things were getting worse and version 5 of ECD Creator was completely sucks... (no offence intended!)

So, I found alternatives for myself - Nero 5 and NTI ... now they are upgraded...

There is obvious difference between free versions that comes with burners and their full versions... and good thing about Nero 6 is what you can upgrade it anytime (actually, latest updates have already included all the utilities of the full versions, and all is needed is to buy a license (serial number) to unlock all the possibilities of a full version...
    Until recently, users could even unlock for free almost all the useful options in Nero Express by just doing regular Web upgrade (unfortunately, they now limited number of the those available options for bundle versions of Nero Express in the latest updates)... But if you have already downloaded an update 6.6.0.6 (not available anymore on their web site), you can enable some of "advanced" options - for free...

Also I found some pretty interesting options in Record Now Deluxe Edition that comes with some brandnamed burners... I have nothing against ECDC 6, but I have already made a choice for myself...

It seems my Easy CD 6 CD is too scratched to install, I get a read error during the install. I guess I can get around the Nero filename bug by renaming the original file instead, but why do all my filenames get converted to all uppercase? That's kind of annoying.

Well the reason Nero is so good is it follows strick standards...DirectCD which you say you used is a proprietary and generally very buggy way of recording on the fly. When you make a real CD, there are different formats you can record in, and some require that all files be UPPERCASE and other formats allow normal file names.

The power of Nero is that you can do a ton more advanced things with it. There are several cases where Nero can do something but Sleazy CD Destroyer (Hehe) won't. For instance, for a long time Nero was the only major recorder that could do custom bootable CD's. Not just copying a bootable floppy, but using an existing image and changing several low-level options that are required to work. Now that may not be the case now, but that's just one of several reasons why it's better.

It's kinda like any other program...once you get used to the way it works then you become quick with it and can do almost anything. Some of the advanced features I don't use, but as a burning engine I can't say there is anything better. Just look at the install source files...Nero generally only takes up like 30MB, where as Easy CD Creator is almost a full CD if not more. Now with new HD's that ain't a thing, but bloated software is still bloated software.

Power Burn is the name of your buffer underrun protection that your drive has...each manufacturer has a different cute name for it.

Sorry to hear you don't like Nero...if it doesn't do what you want it to do then by all means go back the Easy CD Creatore...but just so you know:

Results 1 - 10 of about 86,600 for easy cd creator sucks.

For the file names:

ISO 9660 = UPPERCASE

ISO 9660 + Joliet = Normal

You can get to those options under the "ISO" tab when you start a new CD.

InTheWayBoy:
    CDs/DVDs ruined by Nero: 8 of 8 (100% failure)
    CDs/DVDs ruined by Easy CD Creator: 0 of several thousand (0% failure)

About "Results 1 - 10 of about 86,600 for easy cd creator sucks.", that's not at all a fair test, since a page saying "Nero sucks, I use Easy CD creator" will come up in those results.

Here's the fair test:
    Results 1 - 10 of about 94 for "easy cd creator sucks"
    Results 1 - 10 of about 871 for "nero sucks"

Anyway, since my Easy CD creator CD is scratched I'll have to work around the filename bug in Nero. Renaming the original file instead of renaming it in Nero will most likely work.

scratched!

CD Doctor or DVD Doctor can probably save your esay cd creator diksk. My 2cents go for Nero.
    HP Laptop 6830s with 4 Gbs ram and a 250gb HDD I run Vista business 64bit. But I have some old computers too.

Did you not see my previous post about the file naming issue? You need to use ISO 9660 + Joliet to keep the correct file names.

As for the google results...fair enough. Guess it just boils down to what you like...a powerful application that requires you to learn it, or a simple application that doesn't have as many features. I'm gonna start a poll and see whats what. I predict Nero will win, and Easy CD Creator won't.

I'm not talking about the uppercase names, I'm talking about when I rename a file in nero, it burns the file with the original name instead of the new name I gave it. I renamed "autobid.exe" to "setup.exe" in the CD project in Nero, and it burned it as "autobid.exe", causing the autorun.inf file to give an error when the CD is inserted since the file name is wrong.

I'll either rename the original to setup.exe or edit the autorun.inf to start autobid.exe.

Question

Forgive me for stupid question, but why you need Nero (or anything else) for renaming file, if you can always prepare disk using regular Windows tools and just burn files already prepared for be recorded?

What you need for the drag and drop is InCd - it is one of the install options on the Nero CD