NO sound or Colors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NO sound or Colors

NO sound or Colors

Hi everyone. I have windows ME and my problem is I have no sound and am on 16 colors. under sound, video devices it shows my mpu-401 device as having a yellow exclamation by it. In the properties there is a code 10. I've tried removing it and letting it boot back up but it loads up bad everytime. I think the driver for it my be bad but im not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to WinDrivers Amoney.

The MPU-401 is the MIDI interface used for playing MIDI files and background music in some games. If your sound problem is with the system sounds, .WAV files etc, it's not likely to be the actual cause unless it is conflicting with another port.

Do you have driver disk(s) for your system board, and sound card if it is a separate card? If the system is a namebrand like IBM, HP, Dell, let us know the Model or Type number. Otherwise a good approach is to download the free Everest Home system analysis program, have it print out a text report on your hardware and post the result here. Check and remove any personal information that may be included before posting the text.

my report

here is what I got off of Everest

Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows ME
    OS Service Pack -
    DirectX 4.08.00.0400 (DirectX 8.0)
    Computer Name AARON
    User Name amoney

Motherboard:
    CPU Type AMD Athlon, 1300 MHz (13 x 100)
    Motherboard Name Asus A7V-VM (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 SDR DIMM, Audio, Video)
    Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8365A ProSavage KM133A
    System Memory 256 MB (PC133 SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Phoenix (03/01/01)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
    Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
    Video Adapter NVIDIA RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro (HP)
    3D Accelerator nVIDIA RIVA TNT2
    Monitor KDS KDS-4450 [NoDB] (0000005542)

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Audio Controller [H]

Storage:
    IDE Controller Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    IDE Controller Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    IDE Controller VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
    Floppy Drive GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK
    Disk Drive GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE01
    Optical Drive LG CD-RW CED-8080B (8x/4x/32x CD-RW)
    Optical Drive PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-115 (16x/40x DVD-ROM)
    SMART Hard Disks Status Unknown

Partitions:
    C: (FAT32) 38145 MB (32680 MB free)

Input:
    Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    Mouse Microsoft PS/2 IntelliMouse

Network:
    Network Adapter ICSHARE Adapter. (192.168.1.103)
    Network Adapter NDIS 5.0 driver
    Network Adapter PPP Adapter.
    Network Adapter PPP Adapter.
    Modem Lucent Win Modem

Peripherals:
    Printer Canon Bubble-Jet BJC-4300
    Printer QuickLink III
    USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
    USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
    USB Device Linksys Wireless-B USB Network Adapter v4.0

I would expect the presence of an A7V-VM to mean a Hewlett-Packard system, is the system an HP (Pavilion etc)? If so, which model? It looks like ASUS don't specifically support the VM variant, which was an OEM product for HP. It may be possible to use a generic Crystal Sound driver, but it's often best to use the correct driver for on-board sound.

With your video, the latest combined drivers for GeForce and TNT2 cards are here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_71.84.html

The download is large, so if you can find the original driver disk belonging to the video card, it may be simpler to re-install the drivers from it.

Did something happen to cause the situation you have with your drivers, such as re-installing Windows, or a major system crash?

Yea it was a big system crash. When I turned my computer back on I had lost the color, sound, mouse, and internet connection sharing. I fixed the last two but im stuck on the color and sound. It is a HP. I havent really tried to much on the color part but I think Im about to download the driver on the link you gave me. Is it possible something inside is broken?

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I fixed my color. I went to add/remove programs removed my nvida display program. Rebooted the computer and it found the software and loaded it up. Now im swimming through 32 bit color. If I could just fix the sound I'd be set.

my model number by the way is 9795C

I removed the Via AC97 and loaded up the Crystal WDM audio codec. In the device manager it says the device is working properly but I still have no sound.

That's good news about the video.

Are all the appropriate sound options set? (eg levels up in volume controls, no mutes on, the correct Playback Device selected in Control Panel/Multimedia/Audio)

A possibility is that since it seems an incorrect driver was installed, it may be necessary to boot into Safe Mode (if not familiar with Safe Mode, hold Ctrl or repeatedly press F8 while booting, select Safe Mode from menu) and remove all sound devices that appear, then re-boot and do the install of the Crystal Sound again. Where did you source the Crystal Codec, HP don't seem to have a download for it on their Drivers & Software download page for the 9795C?

I have the 3rd disk of Me which is an application recovery disk. I think I will try the safe mode and then remove every thing and start over. Im sure the options are ok because I cant even enter volume control. Thanks for all the help by the way. Even if I dont fix the sound problem I've still learned way more about computers than I would if I just sent it in.

It doesnt list any devices to be used in multimedia even when I have them listed in the device manager.

Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plat I did the safe mode thing and removed everything because their was extra stuff in safe mode. When I booted up I had sound. Thank you so much you are the computer master. You've saved me time and money and taught me alot. Thanks alot and hopefully the next time I post I will be helping someone else

umm one minor issue. when I restart the computer the sound left with it and I had to do safe mode all over again. Im not to concerned though aslong as I can keep getting my sound back

The computer is now 100% fully operational. My last problem was that i was missing a "drivers= something" under the boot section of my system.ini file. I even got rid of the crappy rundll error message that used to come up when I started my computer. Once again thank you playtpus

Glad to have been able to help you Amoney. Figuring out your computer problems (with a few helpful suggestions along the way) is an excellent way to learn. Don't hesitate to drop back in if you have any future difficulties, or even if you don't!