Introduce Yourself - Page 15
Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself

Thank you very much for that information. I really appreciate that. All the help I can get is greatly appreciated. We also take criticism very well, so if anyone has any ideas to throw out, they are appreciated also! Again, thanks!

Best of luck chevyspd!
    I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.

I really appreciate it guys. I really hope this takes off. I have a passion for fixing things and challenges, so I hope that this will go well.

Hi schnautzr

Question Mac Fan needs PC Helpo

I am a PC Rookie as my name emplies. I am not a computer Rookie. I taught school and got in on the ground floor of the computer literacy push in the schools. My early exposure to Apples converted me to only Mac ownership. I love my Mac computers. (I have 5 of them!) I am working now on my G4 purchased in 2002. When I upgrade, it will be a Mac again. They are so EASY!
    That said, you might wonder what I am doing on this forum. Well, it is like this. I have to use PC's at the library and at some other volunteer "jobs". I know how to use them. I don't know how to troubleshoot, configure them or work on them. I can take the cover off & peek inside for id'ing cards, connections, etc but that is just about it! My son did not have a home computer but a great PC at work. He had a computer system donated to him for his kids to use for their games. His wife purchased some games to use but their PC was a Pentium II. The games required a Pentium III. I have a friend who retired from his TV repair business and started doing volunteer maintenance on the government surplus PC's that the school had donated to them. He also buys surplus computers at business & school auctions. He had a Dell Optiplex GX110 that had been "wiped". We pulled the software off the Gateway 2000 & installed it on the Dell. Then we proceeded to combine the Dell with the Gateway 2000 monitor, speakers, & printer. The monitor works in the 16 color minimum screen resolution & I can't seem to find the right adapter & driver combo to overcome that minimum (which won't run the software that I have). I can play music CD's in the CD Drive but can't hear the sound through the desktop speakers. I can hear sound through the earphones when connected directly to the plug on the drive face.

I need help. I already have money invested in this system. What can I do to overcome these problems. This is a good computer w/zip drive too. Do I need a different monitor or would I still encounter the problems I have with the Gateway 2000 Vivitron 1776? The monitor is very good w/beautiful color.

You'll get no help from us Mac-boy! -.-

Just kidding, you do have to tell us what OS you are using though, or I won't be able to direct you to the exact page you need to go to on Dell.com and get the drivers for the video chipset you are using.

The sound thing is a little wierd, if you can do headphones, you should be able to do speakers as well.

But no, your monitor will work fine on that system.
    -Come on, I'll lend you money for a coffee.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    You need a video driver to allow you to take full advantage of the video card. Do you happen to know the make an model of the video card? If not, perhaps try downloading Everest, installing and running it and posting the results here so we can help you locate a driver.

As far as your sounds is concerned, you probably need to hook up an audio cable - its a small cable that runs from the back of your CD-ROM drive to the sound card inside the computer.

Well, thank you but I am not MacMan...I'm MacMam. I am using Win 98SE & I have already downloaded & run Everest. See my communications at http://forums.windrivers.com/showthr...d=1#post633378

double posting is annoying, because you get two different sets of possibly conflicting answers. This thread is locked.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by El_Squid
    Whoa! Brings back fond memories of my first investment, an 8088 with an RGB monitor (16 big colors) and a single dual density, double sided 5.25" drive. I didn't have enough money for the color monitor and a second drive.

I cut my teeth on an old Atari 16, which we used to write text games in Basic. Edball remembers!
    I do remember. We were writing the coolest game ever and ran out of memory!
    "Don't be so humble - you are not that great." - Golda Meir

Welcome aboard Soccermasta. I remember the first computer we purchased for our computer store when we opened in in early 1989. It was a 286, and we could choose between either a 40MB or 67MB RLL harddrive - we went with the 67MB and everybody told us we were nuts, as we would NEVER fill an entire 40MB hard drive, much led alone a 67MB one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo

There is a specific laptop forum and a couple of members are HP accredited - perhaps you should post some of the error codes there?
    Great idea! (Especially considering the laptop forum hasn't had a post in almost a month..... )

Smile Newbies

G'day, I am a true country bumpkin, living on a farm in the NE of Victoria in Australia.
    Computing was my hobby for a period of about 5 years about 12 years ago but I am so far behind the times now I am almost overwhelmed by it all. But by still wanting to understand what I can about my machine and its idiosyncracies I stumbled on WinDrivers a couple of days ago and I really love this site.
    Everyone is so helpful and it doesn't seem to matter how silly my questions are people are happy it seems, to direct me to an answer if not answering it themselves.
    I also love how the threads can be about anything for instance like the WOTPP thread. Love it!
    Well that is a bit about me bye for now

It's always good to have a new member that wants to learn!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Welcome Country Bumpkin! It is always good to hear from you folks on the other side of the planet.
    I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.