Atapi DVD burner problem
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Atapi DVD burner problem

Atapi DVD burner problem

I have an atapi 16X4X12 dvd+/-RW burner. I want to burn some already burned dvd+R's from a friend, but my burner won't recognize any of the copied dvd+R's. It comes up as CD drive (E and if you double click it windows says invalid function. I have Windows XP Home + service pack 2.
    The burned dvd+R's are memorex 8X. I am really stuck on this one, and any advice would be really helpful!

Welcome to wd forums sedrickf .. 'Invalid function' is a common error & can mean a number of things, however the most likely one, is 'class filter' issues...

CD\DVD drives don't 'really' have drivers in the way that other devices do, they use standard ones provided by windoze & then s/w vendors add functionality (such as burning functions) by adding a 'class filter driver', these get 'mussed up' by other drivers getting introduced due to a lovely programming concept called 'undefined forwards', where ecah 'driver' is required to interact with all the others without 'really knowing' what they might be .. this problem is tremendously common & the answer is generally to delete all the errant class filter drivers by deleting a registry key & then reinstalling whatever is your prefered burning software ..
    (as this is a common issue its already covered in this forums sticky, which has details of what registry key to delete )

EDit: I think I was busy answering another question reading that back ! .. but class filter issues can cause 'invalid function' most definately .. however since this question is concerning 'preburnt' cd's - can I ask - do you know what 'finalised' disks are ? If you do , are all/any of the disks finalised or do they have open sessions on them ? ..
    Last edited by confus-ed; June 23rd, 2005 at 12:53 AM.

Yes, they are finalized. Something I didn't note was that not all of his copied dvd's didn't work. About 5% of them did copy. I also had a CD-RW drive connected using the same cable. I disconnected the CD-RW drive and now the dvd burner reads them as blank discs instead of saying invalid function. I also tried what was suggested in 'sticky' and it still made no differance. Do you think this is hardware or software related?
    Last edited by sedrickf; June 23rd, 2005 at 07:43 PM.

Right so you've concluded then that nothin' is wrong with your machine ? .. & your problem lies with the source disks being produced - Can you give me/us details then of whats in this 'other' one ?

& I think I'd better clarify just what you mean by " didn't work" ? Can you read these disks at all, or do you just mean they won't autorun ? & what are they 'copies' of ?

Also when you say "disconnected the CD-RW drive and now the dvd burner reads them as blank discs instead of saying invalid function" - what happens with fresh blanks ? & what happens with a pressed dvd ? do they work ?
    I'm unclear whether you are talking about 'these disks' or any old disk, 'these' being possibly suspect ..

What I mean by they 'didn't work' is that I am unable to burn them. When I try to burn them, the burner reads the dvd+R as 'Disc is empty'. However, the burner does read fresh blanks properly and pressed dvds. It reads all other types of discs (CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, and sometimes DVD+R) fine too. I have never had any cd recogniztion problems before, however I have never tried to burn 'burned' memorex DVD+R's. But like I mentioned above some of the 'burned' memorex dvd+R's will copy. The dvd+r are all burned movies (Blade, Fast and Furious, ....) on a memorex 8X, 4.7gb, 120min. I use DVD-X-Copy Platinum (doesn't work on burned discs), nero (says 'insert disc to copy') or DVD Decryptor (says 'disc is empty') with no success.

That just left me confus-ed ! .. - Can you confirm that ALL the disks you are trying to copy will play normally, in the first place ?

All the disks that I am trying to burn will work on my dvd player(not dvd-rom) , but my dvd burner/rom will only read them as blank disks.

I reinstalled windows xp, but it didn't help. I also downloaded the Filter Drive Load Order off of 'sticky'. When I run it is says the following:
    Disk Drives:
    Upper Class Filter PartMng
    Device Object WDCWD800BB-55JKAO
    Lower Class Filter No lower filters specified for this device

PartMng is Partition Manager. This is a program that i used to have on my computer a while ago. It is no longer on my computer anymore. Could this filter be the problem? If so, how do I remove it?
    Last edited by sedrickf; June 26th, 2005 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sedrickf
    ... Could this filter be the problem? If so, how do I remove it?
    Any 'errant' filter might be the cause .. You can remove ALL 'class filter drivers' by deleting the registry key referenced in this KB (take no notice of the fact that its all apparently about 'easy cd' the 'fix' holds good for many products ).

That link wants to be on my sticky ... so ta for askin' !

Once again it still doesn't work after trying 'KB'. Should I try a c:/format (really don't want to!) or is my dvd burner simply junk?!!

..or is my dvd burner simply junk?!!
    I think your burner just doesn't want to read the disks produced by your pals writer, which might just be media issues .. you've said your writer works with pressed cd's ok, & all you seem to have issue with is your pals copies written on '+' type disks .. I think I'd go ask him to write me some '+' type 'data disks' (write something 'non dvd', so we have no potential copyright stuff mucking this up, to test with) to make sure of this ..

Can you give me/us the models of the writers concerned ?

Mine: Atapi dvd dual 16X4X12 dvd+\-RW/R
    His: Lite-On dvd-ram 16X8X16 dvd+\-RW/R, DVD-Ram, DVD+R Dl(reads/writes everything)

Will try that.

I tried reinstalling Nero, but now I've run into another problem. After I reinstalled Nero, Nero will not recognize my dvd burner properly anymore. It reads it as 'Image Burner', and it will not burn anything(even CD-R). Also, Nero will not let me choose Copy DVD. The button is faded out. Could this be dvd burner driver related? If so, do you know a site to download dvd burner drivers?

I tried reinstalling Nero, but now I've run into another problem. After I reinstalled Nero, Nero will not recognize my dvd burner properly anymore...
    Most likely you have a 'hardware locked' copy of nero (means its only 'good' for the writer it came with) - try downloading the trial version which should work with any supported writer to test this theory out .

I figured out the problem!!!!!!!! When I bought my computer the technitions
    must have installed the wrong driver. To all people who read this forum, if your computer reads your DVD burner as Atapi DVD burner #x#x# then the driver you have installed is not the right one. My burmer is actually a BenQ model DW1610(you will have to check the sticker on the dvd burner to get the correct model number). Go to this website, http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=140419, and it will tell you which driver/firmware to download. My dvd burner now shows up as BenQ dvd duel dw1610 and I have no problem reading/writing any dvd+R's. Thanks for all the advice!