Fastest overclockable gaming CPU

Thread: Fastest overclockable gaming CPU

Fastest overclockable gaming CPU

http://www.theregister.com/2005/06/27/amd_fx-57/

While it's still voids the AMD warranty, AMD is providing some guidelines and tools for overclocking with their newest CPU.

At least they are admitting that their CPU's can be overclocked and showing how to do it safely.
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666

That's the whole point of buyin the FX processors....they have an unlocked multiplier vs. the locked multipliers on the other A64's.
    AMD Athon 64 X2 4400+, Corsair XMS Pro XL 3200, XFX 7800GTX OC, Raptor 74GB 10k RPM, Abit Fatality A8N SLI

But the new A64 Dual Cores are still better value for money IMO, the top end A64's costs pretty much the same as the FX57, but have two cores

They aren't as fast as the FX57 however. If you wanna game and encode in the background...go dual core. If you wanna game only ... FX57.
    AMD Athon 64 X2 4400+, Corsair XMS Pro XL 3200, XFX 7800GTX OC, Raptor 74GB 10k RPM, Abit Fatality A8N SLI

Quote Originally Posted by FireAm94
    They aren't as fast as the FX57 however. If you wanna game and encode in the background...go dual core. If you wanna game only ... FX57.
    All this 'fastest' stuff depends on both operating system support & game support for any 'multiprocessor' capabilty (be that via 'dual core' or several processors), generally its not there as virtually every game on the market is single threaded, so a single 'fast as you can get it' cpu generally will 'outperform' a theorectically more powerful setup.

The major pluses of this new chip seem to be SSE3 (more instructions) & double the l2 cache memory & a bit faster clock speed, which result in a 7% increase in performance .. but as ever with 'new'.. quite a bit more in cost terms.

64bit support is getting better;
    nVidia are planning multi-thread drivers;
    games are certainly going to take advantage of this asap;
    cost has always been high for the FX series

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    All this 'fastest' stuff depends on both operating system support & game support for any 'multiprocessor' capabilty (be that via 'dual core' or several processors), generally its not there as virtually every game on the market is single threaded, so a single 'fast as you can get it' cpu generally will 'outperform' a theorectically more powerful setup.

The major pluses of this new chip seem to be SSE3 (more instructions) & double the l2 cache memory & a bit faster clock speed, which result in a 7% increase in performance .. but as ever with 'new'.. quite a bit more in cost terms.
    SSE3 made a very small increase...less then 1% and I believe more like 0.3% performance increase. As mentioned...the cost is high due to it being an FX...which has an unlocked multiplier. The games coming out end of the year are supposed to start supporting multiple processors. I believe there was a memory controller tweak/fix also. I would personally buy a 4000+ WAY before this cpu. You can also just overclock the FSB. I'm gonna have to wait on the dual cores to drop.