Upgrading Dell PC's

Thread: Upgrading Dell PC's

Upgrading Dell PC's

We have a couple of old Dell Optiplex G1 pc's 350mhz in our plant that need replacing desparately. Problem is, no money is budgeted for that. I have however, been given the green light to upgrade. Not sure how much you all know about G1's but they are maxed out at 256mb ram which really sucks. This means a mobo replacement is in order. Here is what I was thinking....I have found a few GX1 and GX110 mobos refurbished and they look like they will fit, midtower case on a G1 is identical to the GX1 110. Anyone have any specific expereience on this?

Note: I know it sounds like that buying a new Dell pc would be so much easier, but with our company, buying a pc takes an act of congress, lots of signatures and red tape. With upgrading, I can get around the red tape....

Appreciate any input.....

I know your pain on the new purchase issue, I'v been in a similar spot for years. the biggest thing you need to watch is the front panel connectors. dell uses funky proprietary connections for the power switch, fan/case sensors and lights frequently. other than that you shuld have no problems.....
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

As long as it all comes from Dell you should be ok. Don't try putting non Dell hardware in a Dell machine. I believe the mounting holes are different for the motherboard and I know the power supplies are very different and will damage a non Dell board.

Not to run this into the ground but you are stuck with Dell Optiplex boards on this due to form factor, etc. And yes, they cost WAY too much. I do some contract work for an oil company on their HP printers and run into similar situations all the time. Recently did an overhaul (including replacing the paper feed assembly) on an LJ 8100, and I tried to sell them a refurb printer because 1, it cost less than the repair and 2, their old printer would have been a virtually free source of spare parts. But, nooo! That would have been a capital budget item and management wouldn't even consider it until the next annual budget revue.

In my last real corporate job we weren't even allowed to do things like replace a broken platten knob on a dot matrix printer from a local source. Had to call IT support at the home office and get one sent to us. Thank God for vice grips!

And customers wonder why we say don't buy a Dell.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mhubbard
    We have a couple of old Dell Optiplex G1 pc's 350mhz in our plant that need replacing desparately. Problem is, no money is budgeted for that. I have however, been given the green light to upgrade. Not sure how much you all know about G1's but they are maxed out at 256mb ram which really sucks. This means a mobo replacement is in order. Here is what I was thinking....I have found a few GX1 and GX110 mobos refurbished and they look like they will fit, midtower case on a G1 is identical to the GX1 110. Anyone have any specific expereience on this?

Note: I know it sounds like that buying a new Dell pc would be so much easier, but with our company, buying a pc takes an act of congress, lots of signatures and red tape. With upgrading, I can get around the red tape....

Appreciate any input.....
    If you are allowed to purchase "upgrade" parts, just purchase a new Dell entry level pc for 299. Call it an upgrade and be done with it.
    Sergeant WOTPP

Gee, I often tell my customers to buy Dell, HP or even Gateway. If purchase price is their only motivator, I know I'll make more on the first service call than I would by selling them a system. In fact, I do contract installations for an unamed computer manufacturer that net me more per call than selling the machine, even if I do it through their OEM program, and I don't have to support the beast.

Don't mean to be cynical. I always try to be straight about the advantages of a built-to-order system, but if initial cost is all they can relate to, I just can't compete. There are always folks that just don't get it. Often, their problems after the sale are my best advertisement.

Unfortunately, Corporate America wants a paper trail for everything. All thinking outside the box really gets you is busted chops.

at least the gx 110 will go to 512meg ram. but its pc100 only, so be aware of that. the 110 board will accept a 1 gigahertz p3. if the boards are refurbs do you have any recourse if you get a dead board? the 1 gigahertz processors are at a premium but 866's can be had for less.