[RESOLVED] Scanner Acer 320P causes error code 10 in device manager win98se

Thread: [RESOLVED] Scanner Acer 320P causes error code 10 in device manager win98se

fedis_it

Exclamation Scanner Acer 320P causes error code 10 in device manager win98se

I'm a Windows 98 Second Edition user with a great problem, because of my scanner Acer 320P wich refuses to work.
    Indeed, it has never functioned since I upgraded my operating system to win98se, while I had not any problem with win95osr2.
    My scanner is not recognized at all and the "device manager properties window" shows an allarm on the SCSI controller.
    Indeed, this SCSI controller is virtual and is automatically installed by the program driver, called MiraScan, of my scanner.
    In fact my scanner is not SCSI but connected to the printer port.
    And yet, without this "Scanner's EPP/SCSI Simulation Device Driver", my scanner does not work.
    I have found this kind of problem in Microsoft site:
    Device Manager Reports Code 10 for Device and Does Not Assign an Available IRQ
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The information in this article applies to:
    Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SYMPTOMS
    When you add a new device, the device may appear in Device Manager with a black exclamation point (!) on a yellow field. The device properties may indicate a status of "Code 10," and may include the following the informational text or text that is similar to this text:
    This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 10)
    Also, the device may not have been assigned an IRQ, even though one is available.
    CAUSE
    This problem can occur because when a new device is added to your computer, Configuration Manager must arbitrate the resources for the computer and attempt to assign resources to each device. However, during the rebalance process, a device may not receive a new allocation if its PCI IRQ Holder is not processed properly during the rebalance.
    RESOLUTION
    A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem described in this article and should be applied only to systems experiencing this specific problem.
    To resolve this problem, contact Microsoft Product Support Services to obtain the fix. The English version of this fix should have the following file attributes or later:
    Date Time Version Size File name
    -------------------------------------------------
    11/22/2000 04:54p 4.10.2227 65,919 Pci.vxd
    11/22/2000 08:23p 4.10.2224 69,594 Ios.vxd
    11/27/2000 03:33p 24,136 Mshdc.inf
    But there are not these files, on Microsoft site, and their assistance costs 35 dollars only for reading my letter!
    I have already upgraded many times my scanner driver, without results.
    All I need, I presume, is a patch which allows my SCSI emulator device to be recognized, and consequently my scanner too.
    But I have not still found it, not even on the Microsoft site, in spite of the fact they know the existence of the bug called "code 10"
    I hope your answer to arrive as soon as possible!

Thumbs down

Update your TWAIN Driver for the version of Win9X that you are runnning. Also check to see that you have the latest driver for the scanner available.
    Computer Shop Owner A+ COMPTIA
    Tampa Bay Communications Inc
    http://www.smokinparts.com/smokinpartslogo

fedis_it

Exclamation

But I have already upgraded to the very last driver of my scanner, MiraScan 3.41, and written to the Acer assistance asking, without results, why it does not work!
    About the TWAIN driver, what is the difference with the scanner driver (because in Windows folder the TWAIN directory appears only after installing MiraScan)?

I had an Acer 320S, which was hardware SCSI, so I've never used the software SCSI emulator you refer to. Here are a few thoughts.

Try the different EPP/ECP settings in the bios setup. If the virtual SCSI uses EPP as its name suggests, you would expect this to be the setting to use, but there may be more than one EPP standard available. The change in OS may be enough to need a different setting. Parallel port devices can be choosey.

Is there an IRQ (maybe 12) assigned to the virtual SCSI device in its Device Manager properties? If so, try assigning that IRQ to Legacy ISA in the bios, in case the parallel port is on the ISA bus. (I realise it worked OK this way with Win95, but the change to Win98 may make the difference, & trying it eliminates a possibility.)

On the subject of the change, was it an upgrade over 95, or a clean install? Upgrades have been known to cause odd problems.

If it was a complete re-install, do you know if your motherboard needs drivers installed for IRQ steering? If so, this could cause difficulty allocating an IRQ as mentioned in the Microsoft info you found. Check in the System Devices section of the Device Manager to see if there is an alert on anything referring to PCI or IRQ's. If so, Win98 doesn't recognise something on the motherboard, and you will need to install a driver from the motherboard manufacturer's website.

Hope one of these ideas might help.