Are you on the LIST? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Are you on the LIST?

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed

I don't know if I'm convinced of all the practicalities, but I'm most definately convinced of the moral rightness of this over what we do now !

I wouldn't say a can of worms was opened, but I would say that was a can of cynicism.
    Anyone with half a brain knows there is no ONE solution to fix the poverty problem in Africa or elsewhere. Everyone knows that there is more to it than just giving aid. Debt relief and needed adjustments to the trade barrier problem are necessary as well. And, noone is suggesting that these problems can be solved overnight. Straw or Brown said that this was a lifetimes undertaking. As well, there are also problems of knowing (or not knowing) where the money ends up. Corrupt politicians and leaders in Africa are a problem indeed. See this:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...7350_1,00.html

That being said, I guess we could always just stick our collective heads in the sand, admit this problem is too big for us and we can't help end poverty or help Africa. We can just sit on our hands and do nothing. That sounds like a winning proposition, doesn't it?

Altogether now: snap your fingers every three seconds....
    Last edited by TripleRLtd; July 6th, 2005 at 05:16 PM.

Let's not forget that a lot of Africa's problems stem from an abysmal lack of education in the ranks of the masses. We can build all of the irrigation projects, hospitals and factories we want, it amounts to naught if the locals tear them apart to use the bricks to build huts. I agree, we need to start now, but the solution must involve a long term commitment to educating the masses, so they can take over things and we don't have to keep coming back.

There is plenty of money out there, only it is mostly in the hands of a very few. How can we justify paying our Corporate Leaders, Entertainers and Professional Atheletes multi-million dollar salaries? Why is there no Maximum Wage to go with the Minimum Wage? Say a $10 meg annual cap on any salary, with no loopholes or corporate perks and gimmes.
    I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleRLtd
    Indeed.
    And on a side note about the MTV/VH1 lack of coverage. Check this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ADME:B:LC:US:1
    Whatever that was, its gone now!

Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute
    Whatever that was, its gone now!
    Fake live aid cd's for sale on e-bay !! There was a bit of coverage here about it, ebay must have pulled all the offending items..

Nope, it was someone asking for bids thusly:

LEGALLY CHANGE MY NAME TO MTV SUCKS.LIVE8 EMBARRASSMENT
    THE BASTARDS CUT OFF PINK FLOYD!!! LIVE 8.

And he would also tatto MTV Sucks on his arse, supposedly.

It had lots of comments and was referenced in many other forums, etc. It was even mentioned he might be interviewed.

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Kong
    is this petion thing for proteting how much western gov't are giving in aide to africa dictater's and crimanals? help me a little bit? major is leting me use his computer. i discavered this site while sorfing so I am tring to undarstand.
    WTF?

Me thinks I got to call up to work and find out who billeting put in my work apartment.
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.

WTF?
    Meaning an 'imposter' was responsible for your slightly strange style ? - Folks say that about me, all the time .. I should definately check that out, I have enough trouble with making myself confus-ed, never mind if I had somebody 'helping me' - change of password required at least methinks

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    WTF?

Me thinks I got to call up to work and find out who billeting put in my work apartment.
    huh????

WTF?

Judging by the grammar and syntax, it must have been a ten year old. Any shiny, new, green second lieutenants around?
    I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.

Home: Eagle River, Alaska Work: Chukchi Sea Alaska
    Well according to the Billeting Office there was a young man from Point Hope staying in my apartment for 2 days. When I left Monday I was told my apartment would be used by a contrator friend of mine (Dan) who was up to do a fish count on the Wulik River. Instead they gave my room to the young man. Before I left I gave Dan permission to use my PC. I guess the fella used it instead. I had a co-worker go in and check everything and he told me all looked well. Since I don't keep anything personal (like CC #'s, checking, etc.) on the PC I'm not worried. Oh well (shrug).
    I only post using 100% recycled electrons!!!

Stay on the bomb run, boys. I'm going to get them doors open if it hair lips everybody on Bear Creek.