CD Drive not detecting Blank CD's
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CD Drive not detecting Blank CD's

Hybrid View

CD Drive not detecting Blank CD's

I started having this problem about 2 weeks ago. When i send afile (anything) to my CD Dive, then click on Write these files to CD. The Wizard will come up and ask you to name the disc, then i click and it asks me to Please insert a Writable CD... etc. So i try out several CD's, none work. Thinking it might be windows, i try using Nero - same thing, and the same with about 3 different burning programs. Ive also been through Device Manager to check for probs and uninstall/reinstall the drive and update any drivers, but none of that worked. It was suggested that it might be the CD make, so ive tried several different makes/speeds etc. So it would be great if i could get any help. ta.

p.s. its a HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4521B made by LG.

system specs. Please dont laugh, its my first own computer and still am upgrading it...

Intel Celeron 1.4 GHZ, 512MG SDRAM, GeForce FX 5200 128 MB, C:\-18 gig HDD F:\-40 gig HDD. Anythinh else needed, just ask. Thanks.

If this problem started without any software changes, I'd say the drive is bad. Still, you might want to try the steps in these two articles: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;316529
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;314060

Do pre-done cd's & dvd's still work ok ?

& can you tell us just what drives you've got ? You seem to have two hard drives c & f ? so if this dvd is on d, what's on e ?

I dont have pre-done CD's from this computer to check on, havent done a CD for my self, were all for other ppl. But pre-done CDs from other computers do work if that helps.

Sorry, i miss read what i wrote - the other HDD is E:\ not F:\ so

C:\ MAXTOR 2b020h1 (20gigs)
    D:\ HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC - 4521B
    E:\ WDC WD400BB-00KA0 (40 gigs)

I tired those links that slgrieb suggested but to no avail. ta.

I just put a dumb answer, while still thinking about another problem ! so ignore what I just deleted from the thread !

Have you read the advice on my 'sticky' about 'class filter drivers' ? - briefly wherever you've got lots of burning software, the various drivers introduced by them get muddled up & cause issues at least similar to here.

The 'cure all' for these types of issues is to remove all burning software, locate the master key for 'class filter drivers' in the registry, delete that, & then remove all cd\dvd devices in safe mode & then let windows refind them & then add back any burning software testing as you go (the key is detailed on my sticky )

I'll give that a go and get back to you with how it turns out. Thanks.

no dice. run down...

-uninstalled all burning s/w.
    -deleted 1 upper filter and 2 lower filter keys.
    -restarted to save mode and uninstalled cd drive.
    -restarted to normal mode and allowed drive to reinstall its self.
    -inserted new blank cd
    -added a file
    -followed the wizard to the 2nd page where i got the lovely familiar page of please insert a blank cd...

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr *crys*

Doublecheck that your CD burning software is set to proper drive letter.
    Novice of 2 years Sys#1=xp sp2-Bl. Dragon Case clear panel exposing syntax 266 with amd athlon xp2000+/cop.fin cooler/bl.uv funnel and 80mm fan-nvidia 64mb agp-bl.uv round cables and 3 led case fans-450 psu-dvd rom-cd/rw-floppy-mic-clear lit opti mice-17"crt-lex p3150---Sys#2=xp sp2 H-P pav case-DFI 370 board/cel.1.2cpu-17"crt-opti mice-lex z25-snd/vid o`bd---Sys#3=xp pro sp2-blk/slvr case-Abit KD7-E/athlon 950 o/c`microfin copper cooler(xp 3400+)-nvidia gforce 32 agp-5ch sound(not done)

well all im using at this very moment is Windows own burning Wizard.

Is this what its saying by way of error message btw ?
    There is no disc in the drive. Please insert a writable CD into drive.
    I should have asked earlier...

yeah, thats the one... ask if you want a screenie

CD burners have separate laser system to read the disk and perform write and erase functions, so drive may perform read functions OK but puke up on writing. I have even had failing CD drives do weird things like identify data files as music and vice versa even on pressed CDs. Bad Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan_Bigtoe
    yeah, thats the one...
    Well if its erroring with that, yet still reading 'done' cds 'ok', you've still a good chance of this being software somehow, as that error quite often occurs if the original system files used by the cd writing system, has gotten overwritten by something..

The following error message may occur when you try to write to a CD-R or CD-RW if the driver is corrupted:

There is no disc in the drive. Please insert a writable CD into drive.

If the device driver has been corrupted...
    (we already tried what it advises, which is removing the drive in device manager) but it doesn't mention running SFC (system file checker) which might maybe undo any changes made to the files that'll it otherwise try & use for any 'new' cd type devices (some writing s/w will change versions of files which can cause issue)

If you could test this unit 'elsewhere' for writing function, I guess you could easily confirm whether its worth continuing to chase down potential s/w issues

I had a similar problem with a CD burner, it turned out I needed to apply the latest firmware for the device. Once I did that it was able to detect blank CD's. I was also trying to use NERO and it would basically say when I went to burn please insert blank media. After firmware update, it burns with no problems. Not sure if this will apply to your case but its worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by procir154
    I had a similar problem with a CD burner, it turned out I needed to apply the latest firmware for the device. Once I did that it was able to detect blank CD's. I was also trying to use NERO and it would basically say when I went to burn please insert blank media. After firmware update, it burns with no problems. Not sure if this will apply to your case but its worth a shot.
    Welcome to wd forums procir154, all fair points , but I'd say more likely if 'never worked' ? wheras this one has & suddenly stopped working ? .. something else would have had to change here for the firmware to be suddenly 'wrong' ?