CD Drive not detecting Blank CD's - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CD Drive not detecting Blank CD's

afternoon - wont be able to check it on another computer (my sisters comp is having the same prob, but i dont care about hers). i cant think of any changes to my system (other than a Windows Update to course a change to the firmware... but if it would be an idea to update it?? (how?)

Hey thanks confus-ed!!

Yeah I would have thought the same thing but I worked on a PC for a friend this past weekend that had some burning issues. When I asked them how long it has not been working, they stated about a month and nothing had changed only the brand of media they were using to burn on. I uninstalled reinstalled burning apps and no luck. So as a last resort I went to the compaq site and found an updated firmware that addressed a bunch of issues as well issues with newer media for burning. After applying the firmware I was burning cd's with no problems. Believe me I was ready to trash the drive and get a new one.

im new to the firmware business... is there a tool that can detect what firmware i would need to d/l etc.??

Titan,

Checkout http://us.lgservice.com

Once you are there click on "device driver" and then go to Combo Drives. You should then see your drive listed as the first one. Select the latest firmware "GCC-4521B-107.exe" and install.

Here is the actual Version History:
    101 - Fixes bug. Some Blank CD-R disc are not regonized after removing a pressed CD.
    103 - Enhanced recording quality of CD-R Media.
    104 - Enhanced recording quality of CD-R Media and readability 32X CD-RW media.
    105 - Enhanced CD-RW Compatibility.
    106 - Enhanced CD-RW & Video CD Compatibility.
    107 - Enhanced CD-RW & Video CD Compatibility.

As you can see this firmware addresses media compatibility. The upgrade instructions can be found by clicking on the link "GCC-4521B firmware". Hope this helps you out, its worth a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by procir154
    Here is the actual Version History:
    101 - Fixes bug. Some Blank CD-R disc are not regonized after removing a pressed CD....its worth a shot.
    Spot on call then methinks ! Time to update the firmware.

ok, going to give it a go... but not right now, mums going to kill me if i dont help tidy in preperation for my Granny coming tomorrow, all this, a broken SD card (please check http://forums.windrivers.com/showthr...625#post595625) a hangover and trying to fix the CD drive. Thanks for that procir154, i'll let you know how if goes when i get to it tonight.

EDIT: i'll post this now just before i go to allow time for a reply... this bit i dont understand...

2. Connect the drive to the secondary IDE channel as a master drive with
    no other devices connected to that channel. Also disconnect any other optical
    drives connected to the computer. Start Windows and verify it can
    recognize the drive.

could someone explain please, also when i restart should i restart it into Safe Mode... or does it have to be 'normal' mode?
    Last edited by Titan_Bigtoe; July 9th, 2005 at 12:22 PM.

That is just saying to make sure that the drive that you want to upgrade the firmware on should be in the secondary IDE channel. Most likely in your PC you have two IDE channels (primary and secondary). They want your drive to be connected to the secondary IDE and be the only device on that channel. You Hard drive is probably on the primary IDE channel. As far as the master part, the drive should have jumpers that will be for master, slave and CS (cable select). Make sure the jumper is set for MS(master) and be at the end of the IDE ribbon cable and be the only device on that IDE ribbon cable. As far as other optical devices, make sure during this process you only have one CD/DVD drive connected (the one you are upgrading). Boot into windows if you had to make changes to reflect what they want (secondary IDE and master) and see if windows can find the drive, if so go ahead with the install of the latest firmware. Normal windows will be fine, safe mode is not necessary. Let me know, hope it works out for you

Quote Originally Posted by procir154
    That is just saying to make sure that the drive that you want to upgrade the firmware on should be in the secondary IDE channel...
    He-he-he .. saved me a job - you can come again !!!

right, well it didnt work. This either 'cos my drive is well and truely buggered up. Or because i mucked up on the IDE instructions. Checked my IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers in Device Manager and i have a Primary and Secondry and also Intel(r) 82801BA Bus Master IDE Controller. Checking the properties of these doesnt show me what is connected to them. So i opened up the side panel to look at the ribbons, failing to relise that with out labels, i dont know which IDE is which. I'll describe what i have - I have 3 slots to which ribbons are connected. 1 is from the floppy (which i only just remembered is a optical drive - bugger!) 1 is the CD drive and the other is from my 2 hard drives. So with out the sockets being labled, how do i know which ones connected to which?

Quote Originally Posted by Titan_Bigtoe
    .. So with out the sockets being labled, how do i know which ones connected to which?
    They generally are labelled !

(you need to have eyes like a hawk, lol - see the original here {which you can then get a 'blow up' of})

Sometimes confusingly btw they label the ports as IDE0&1 (however they are numbered primary is obviously first ! ).

Then you might need to make adjustments to the current settings of your jumpers too.

When you said 'it didnt work' - did it spit out some error or other ?

no error message - it said that it updated - then, would you like to reboot? - yes.... go to burn a cd using Windows (all burning s/w uninstalled at the mo) then i get the same message as usual - Insert blank cd.

Ok, so i know which ones my IDE ports are, should i go ahead and assume that the CD drive is already connected to the Secondry IDE port?

Jumpers....????

Cant wait till i get paid in a couple of days, think i'll just buy a new drive - good excuse to get a DVD-RW! But still would be useful to see if i can fix this, so i can learn what needs/can be done.

Jumpers ....????
    This'll give you some clues - all IDE devices (so hard drives & CDs & such) have a set of jumpers (Generally between where the 'fat IDE cable' plugs in & the power cable) which are part of the signalling process used to operate your disk.

('centre' group is the jumpers I'm on about) & maybe where I nicked that picture from will be helpful too ? TomsHardware

Quote Originally Posted by Titan_Bigtoe
    no error message - it said that it updated ...
    So having just answered about jumpers .. I just realised I probably didn't need to ! Confus-ed again ! - we just need to check your firmware update has 'taken' - you can check this via device manager, its one of the properties of your cd drive (but windows won't always look in the two places this could be recorded) & a more reliable way is to use something like the nero info tool to find out (depends on what burning s/w we have 'handy').

But my real reason for replying is about this bit ..
    ..either 'cos my drive is well and truely buggered up. Or because i mucked up on the IDE instructions...think i'll just buy a new drive - good excuse to get a DVD-RW! But still would be useful to see if i can fix this, so i can learn what needs/can be done..
    So why am I requoting that ? Just to observe that the writing process in windows has lots of layers of software & there's all sorts can go wrong, just buying a new unit, might fix it (if the unit is 'really busted' ) but if we have still have some s/w error, as all the symptoms say to me, you may find yourself 'no better off'

i found an option in the CD Drive Properties - Details Tab - Drop down box - Firmware Revision... but it doesnt show anything. I'll find my copy of Nero and install that. I have just noticed something else funny as well... firstly, when i put in a CD like a game, where you expect it to Autorun - well it doesnt, same with any type of CD S/W. I checked the properties to make sure the Autoplay options were ok, but no dice. Also, you know the icon you get when theres nothing in the Drive at all (a pic of a CD at an angel on top of a picture of a drive)... well when i insert a CD-R which has data on it, the image doesnt change, and i always remember it changing (the data does show though.)... Dont know if its important, but best i mention it just in case.

well i ordered a DVD-R/RW, should get it on monday... i'll let you know how it works, to see if its a s/w prob with my system, or if it was just the CD-Drive itself. Thanks for all the help anyhow.