What sort of server would allow me to do this?

Thread: What sort of server would allow me to do this?

What sort of server would allow me to do this?

I currently sell a program but am planning on making an online version, but for this to work I'd need a server that would let me have a program (.exe) running 24/7 on the server.

I don't think any webhost allows this, so what are my options? Are there any server services that would allow me to do this or should I setup my own server at home? The problem with this is I'd prolly need generators too keep the software running in case of a power failure so I'd prefer to pay a monthly fee to a company that has all the hardware and would let me run my exe.

Thanks

Would it be a good idea to get a low power mobo and build a server and I would build my own UPS from one or more car batteries a charger and inverter to provide at least 5 hours of backup power to power the server, modem and router?

Also, what windows OS would be the best for this? I was thinking of win2k but what are those server windows like windows server 2003? What is different compared to non-server windows? I've never used or heard anything about the server versions.

Thanks

So then do you want advice on 'diy' or for us to google what you can find yourself anyways, by looking for ISP's who support such things (asp, javascript, Vbscript, frontpage, perl/cgi, cold fusion, ssi...) ?

None of those technologies will do what I want, I will need to run my own server as I said in my reply, what is the difference between normal windows and server windows?

In Short - Many differences.
    What could affect you:
    Windows Client is limited to Max. 10 Concurrent connection (Though it can be hacked, But you are walking on a thin line)
    Windows Client Memory scheduling/ CPU scheduling is intended to serve application better (While server does better with Services).

Hardware
    About Availability - you can't go too much with normal PC. you will have down time no matter UPS you will use.

Best practices for uptime - Hot Swap RAID (with Hot-Spare)
    Two PSU - at leaset one hot removable/plug.
    Cooled Clean Room
    UPS with long uptime connected to at least one PSU (The other one can be connected to a generator) Most of the UPS software can send Email or SMS (you can run application that Send SMS to your Mobile when there is a power outage and Than you will run the Generator).
    If you are really into 99.999 Uptime - you should consider working with cluster. But the price will be "sooooo" high.

Good Luck,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by ClickHere2Surf.com
    None of those technologies will do what I want, I will need to run my own server as I said in my reply, what is the difference between normal windows and server windows?
    As I've no flaming idea of what you do want , I shall resist the urge to bicker, & say I'm sure all that stuff I quoted can interface with something else if you couldn't do it directly & then since I've no real idea of what you are trying to achieve, which makes answering very difficult, I shall shut up on that bit !

As for the differences between a server & client version of an operating system, client offers a subset of services of server & server is designed with the easy control of many client services. Which is about as clear as this question !

What I need is a program that will send requests to a server at scheduled times, so I need a program running 24/7 to monitor a database and when the time matches the set time of the next scheduled operation in the database it will send the request. ASP only executes as a page loads and can't be set to execute commands at any time, one solution would be to make a software reload an ASP page once per second, but that's just stupid, which is why I'm pretty sure I'll build a server/UPS etc.

Thanks

search for co location (colo)
    you will still have to abide by the ISP's TOS.
    but your machine lives at their building so there is more leeway.
    this does not in any way negate the points raised above.

You may be able to use a "dedicated server" service. It never hurts to ask.

Otherwise - you will want to build your own server(s) and look into a co-location service. I would buy 2 dell rack mount servers (1U) with Server 2003 installed, install Apache, PHP, MySQL for your web server, harden the server, install and schedule the exe to run and deliver the server to the co-location faciility.

You could host it at home, but it would be expensive to get a dedicated line with enough bandwidth to allow a decent number of consecutive users.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Quote Originally Posted by ClickHere2Surf.com
    What I need is a program that will send requests to a server at scheduled times ..
    I'll goad him enough soon to get him to tell us just what he wants ! ..So use an activex control, I'm sure you ought to be able to ..- I know you don't want to reveal too much info, as this is your livelihood (the program Clickhere develops) but 'my' it don't half make answering hard

does this make us part of the clickhere support team? should we be getting paychecks for supporting this hardware?

its realy starting to look like were outside consultatnts on this! that means we should get a peice of hte Pie!

I can sell you a dual P2 333 compaq proliant to tinker with....

as to band width at home, I supported a server taht was hosting 30 TS sessions over business DSL and cable (160 CAD a month) so it should be able to handle you web trafic.