Gigabyte USB 2.0 problem

Thread: Gigabyte USB 2.0 problem

Gigabyte USB 2.0 problem

Hello all,

I have an athlon xp system on a Gigabyte GA 7VA m/b running on win xp sp2 and I can't get the USB 2.0 ports to work. I have installed the necessary drivers (the device manager seems ok, no questionmarks on unknown devices or anything like that, and the USB 2.0 controller is installed ok) but no luck. When I use a high speed ext. hard drive I get the message "...can perform faster if connected to a free usb 2.0 port..." and when I use a high speed certified usb flash disk even though the led turns on my system won't see the device no matter what port I use!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Welcome to Windrivers Wurrbog.

There are a dozen variations on that board - could you give the exact revision and model please? Are you using XP? If so which service pack?

The basic motherboard has 2 usb ports on the back and additional backplate to supply a further 2 ports. Are you talking about all 4 ports or just the two on the back? Are you connecting via an external hub?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Motherboard model: Gigabyte GA-7VA
    Revision: 1002

I've got the same problem with all the ports I tried - 6 in total, 2 on the rear, 2 on the backplate (connected to the f_usb2 connector of the board) as well as the pair in front of the case that I connected it to the f_usb1 pin connector of the m/b. They all function as USB 1 ports! It takes about 3-4 minutes to transfer 100mb approx.

I was thinking of disabling the usb1 controller from the bios and let only the usb2 controller enabled... Do you think I could "force" it to function as usb 2 this way?

Thanx!

yes try that.. wait a minute... 1.1 controller? I thought this board was all usb 2?

update the bios too

Edit having read your manual, yes disable 1.1 controller. I think if you have a 1.1 device plugged in, all the ports connected to that controller will operate at 1.1, it cannot support two different speeds.
    Last edited by NooNoo; July 21st, 2005 at 07:17 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thumbs up

Ok, I'll try that thanks a lot for the help!

Have a nice day!

In Device Manager, uninstall all USB controllers then re-boot and let Windows redetect them. NO drivers have to loaded for USB controllers on this board. Strange as it sounds installing drivers from the mainboard CD may prevent Windows from finding the correct drivers. You may also have a corrupted SP2 installation. If the first step doesn't fix the problem, try re-installing SP2.