Need help re-installing USB drivers...

Thread: Need help re-installing USB drivers...

Need help re-installing USB drivers...

I have a computer in the office whose USB ports are no longer working. Every time the computer boots up, it "detects" new hardware, attempts to install the "VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller" twice, and fails both time with a message, "Data is incorrect". In Device Manager, there are exclamation points by the two USB Universal Host Controllers, and there is a "Code 1" error listed (which means that no drivers have been installed for the device).

The computer in question is an AMD Athlon™ XP2000+ (MMX, 3DNow, 1.68GHz) with 256 MB of DDR400 RAM and a K7 Triton Series GA-7DXE (AMD 761+686B chipset) motherboard. The BIOS has been updated to the latest version, and the computer is running English Windows XP Home edition with SP2 and all updates installed.

I've ran all the USB installation files from the CD that came with the motherboard (including the 4-in-1 set and the USB specific ones), as well as the latest versions downloaded from the VIA website. I've tried enabling and disabling "USB Legacy Support" in the BIOS; I've tried "rollback driver" (none found), "Reinstall driver" (same error message as above, "Data is incorrect"), and letting Windows (1) look for drivers online, (2) choosing the drivers from the GA-7DXE CD, and (3) choosing the drivers from the Windows default folders, all have failed with the same error. Also, I cannot uninstall the items in Device Manager either; choosing one of them and hitting delete or uninstall causes Device Manager to refresh, but the items are still present. Ditto if I try in Safe Mode.

The USB ports on the computer in question used to work fine, as the computer used to be mine and I used the ports often (two in front, two on the rear). When I got a new computer, this one was passed to a co-worker, reformatted, etc. I'm not completely sure if that's when the ports stopped working or not, cause there were no complaints about the USB ports for many months. It was only recently discovered that none of them were working, and I began trying to troubleshoot. Incidentally, just in case the ports were working at some point earlier since the Windows re-install, I've tried almost all of the System Restore Points, and they all fail.

Am currently out of ideas on what to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

L.F. Lee

Welcome to Windrivers EastDragon

Data is incorrect? Are you positive about that message? Are you logged on as administrator when trying to install these drivers?
    Have you tried disabling the onboard usb in bios? (not just the legacy) then booting to safe mode, removing the drivers if they are still showing and then restarting to normal mode... then shut down, go into bios and re enable the usb and restart. Does it behave then?

Have you downloaded the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard? Checked for bios updates?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thank you for the prompt response, NooNoo.

>Data is incorrect? Are you positive about that message? Are you logged on
    >as administrator when trying to install these drivers?

I'm quite positive that's what the message said; will do a screen capture when I get a chance. And yes, I am logged on as administrator.

>Have you tried disabling the onboard usb in bios? (not just the legacy) then
    >booting to safe mode, removing the drivers if they are still showing and then
    >restarting to normal mode... then shut down, go into bios and re enable the
    >usb and restart. Does it behave then?

I tried so many variations with the BIOS and the re-booting into safemode (and normal mode) that I'm not sure if I tried this particular combination or not. Will do so again and report back.

>Have you downloaded the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard?
    >Checked for bios updates?

Yes, I did both of these items for sure.

OK, I tried this: "disabling the onboard usb in bios? (not just the legacy) then booting to safe mode, removing the drivers if they are still showing and then restarting to normal mode... then shut down, go into bios and re enable the usb and restart. Does it behave then?"

When disabled in BIOS, nothing shows up at all in Safe Mode or otherwise; however, after re-enabling USB in BIOS and restarting, the same error message begins to come up again. Trying to re-install the drivers continues to produce an error message of "The data is invalid." See attached screenshot...

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.... !

L.F. Lee
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by eastdragon; July 25th, 2005 at 04:11 AM.