bios problem

Thread: bios problem

bios problem

I just bought a new case and transferred my hard drive/video card/cdroms etc to a different motherboard. Booted it up and got everything configered ok(or at least I thought).

Now, if I power the computer off then when I start it back up then the monitor doesn't work (blank) like no connection. If I unplug the power cord to the power supply for about ten seconds and try it again it will work. It does take me into bios so I think this is a bios/motherboard problem. I dual boot with windows and Linux so I don't think this has anything to do with the operating system.

The motherboard is an ASUS a7v8x and I have used a combination of three different monitors so it shouldn't be the monitor. Video Card is an Abit (ati) Radeon 9600 se.

I believe my problem is that I took a different motherboard and loaded different
    drives/cdroms etc and somewhere their is a conflict with the motherboard.

I don't know where to go to resolve this conflict and don't believe reinstalling the O.S. will do any good. I've played around with the setting for the AGV with no luck.

I guess the next thing is to reset the motherboard to the "safe default setting" and to check the ASUS web site for info.

Anybody have any ideas......
    The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once............Buckaroo Banzai

I told out the bios battery and let it reset the setting.
    Still no luck. I'm beginning to think it's the video card or the AGP slot in the motherboard.
    The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once............Buckaroo Banzai

If the system doesn't boot at all, then the OS is not part of the equation. If you mean the system boots up, windows starts, sound works etc but the monitor stays blank, this is a different matter.

Your description sounds more like the first scenario. If this is the situation, have you tried booting with only memory, video card and keyboard, to eliminate all the remaining drives etc as potential causes? To eliminate the video card and AGP socket, can you get to try a PCI video card at all? (Without the HDD(s) connected so no OS can boot & have driver problems.)

Just robbed another video card from another system. That one will work ok. So, I guess it's the video card. I guess I will try and get a replacement card. I don't play video games much so I can probably just get a decent entry level card.

But to answer your question , the system would boot up but the video was blank. I would unplug the power cord to the power supply for about ten seconds and it would boot up.
    A little wierd I think... I could use the video card and it could serve as protection from unauthorized use(grin). SInce, all I have to do is unplug the power cord and then it works...
    Thanks for the info though. I'm not completely finished trouble shooting it yet and since the video card can be made to work in no big hurry.....

Most boards default to the setting of Quick POST to speed booting - if the BIOS gives a setting to disable Quick POST, try it. This will allow more time for devices to ID, the board might be too quick to allow the VGA BIOS on the video card to sign on.

Video cards can also suffer from capacitor faults like motherboards sometimes get, this can produce odd faults. Check if any capacitors on the card look bulged, split or have deposits around their base.

Well I fixed my problem. Don't know what the problems was. But I think I will disable the quick post and see if that helps also like platypus mentioned.

I put the video card back into the origional motherboard that it was running with no problems. And it works fine there. I don't know what the problem was but both cards are happy in their origional motherboard.

When I put the troubled card into the origional motherboard that it came out (was working ok in) the hard drive was different and had never saw the card before so I thought it would come up and say new hardware found but it didn't. It loaded the drivers ok but I can see XP having those drivers built in.

Since, we are not big gamers it won't matter which computer the cards go into. I would just have liked to figured out why it was having the problem. Since, the card works ok now I think maybe something was going on with the motherboard that it didn't like the card.

Thanks Platypus for the help..