AGP cards compatible with A7V600 mobo

Thread: AGP cards compatible with A7V600 mobo

AGP cards compatible with A7V600 mobo

I'm looking to upgrade my AGP card since the old DX7 one I have seriously struggles on some of todays games. However I'm not sure what the highest card that my mainboard (ASUS A7V600) will support.

ASUS have gone all "HP" with their website making you click four million pages and offering you no info what so ever.

Any ideas?

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/sock...0/overview.htm
    http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7V600&langs=09

Its 8x AGP, and can take all new AGP cards. If your want to game, also see that you have at least 1gb of ram to play todays games. And when picking a vga card, see that you get one based on your eventual use for it, for gaming, dont geting anything less than a Ati x700/nVidia 6600

Sorry, but I just don't think it is cost effective to buy any hardware that doesn't meet your immediate needs for the next 1 to 2 years. Todays $400 cutting-edge video card will cost $50 in a year, and most software trails the curve by at least that much. I think most of us can get along fine with an Nvidia 5500 or so. 'course your specific game may have higher requirements. Gets down to what you are wiling to spend.

Thanks for the replies and the info.

I'm inclined to agree with the second, the two cards that you suggested TechZ are well out of my budget. I currently have a Geforce 440MX 64mb which was a mid-range card when I got it. I'm looking now for another mid range one such as an FX5700 or Radeon 9600.

Quote Originally Posted by buksida
    Thanks for the replies and the info.

I'm inclined to agree with the second, the two cards that you suggested TechZ are well out of my budget. I currently have a Geforce 440MX 64mb which was a mid-range card when I got it. I'm looking now for another mid range one such as an FX5700 or Radeon 9600.
    No where does a 400$ card today cost 50$ in a year or two. And if you are a gamer, then you are going to need a proper gaming card. in the end it depends on your budget. the Radeon 9x series is an older set, and so is the FX5x series. Today its the Radeon X series and FX 6x series of cards for Ati and nVidia respectively, each of these have a good set of cards for different budgets.

Ati: x300, x600, x700, x800, x850
    nVidia: 6200, 6600, 6800

I recommended the above cards (x700 and 6600) in my previous post as they are mid-range cards and do not cost any where near 400$. They are suitable to play todays DX9 games (as you mentioned you were having issues playing newer games) and would be fine for a casual gamer for at least 1-2 years more.

Why pay 50$ for a game that you cannot enjoy at a decent resolution with the intended effects on?

PNY VCG6600GAPB Video Card - Retail [Geforce 6600GT/ 128MB GDDR3/ AGP 4X/8X]
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814133137

A 6600GT, 128mb card for US$150/-. Gaming doesnt come cheap and 150$ for a 6600GT is a very good deal.

An older Ati 9800, an extremely powerful card, even today. Quite a few still available online to purchase. And refurbished ones are available for under 100US$.
    http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Su...SubCategory=48

I see your point but my situation is slightly different as I live in Thailand where computer hardware is more expensive and can't order online as I dont have a credit card and I dont trust the local post office with a $300 graphics card. I even had to make a three hour journey to get this one. There is no way I can get a 6600GT for that price here (it actually costs closer to $260 here).

I actually went for a Radeon 9600 pro however may have to pick your brains again as I'm having a few problems with it post installation.

Firstly none of my games work now, tried Half Life 2 and GTA San Andreas (which both worked on my old Geforce4 440MX) all I get is a blank screen as if its out of range for the monitor (which is at 85MHz) the games load as I can hear the background sounds but no display.

Secondly some of the desktop icons dissappear or change colour. I have tried re-installing drivers and am now looking for some updated drivers online. I'm beginning to think the card is faulty so may have to make another 3 hour journey to take it back and possibly upgrade it for a better one.

Any suggestions? (apart from buying the better one in the first place )

No need to answer, I downloaded and installed the Radeon Catalyst drivers that you posted here:

http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=71729

Works like a dream, Half Life 2 at full res is great!