DVD drives cannot see CD media

Thread: DVD drives cannot see CD media

DVD drives cannot see CD media

An old version of Easy CD creator has left problematic drivers on my WinXP system. The DVD drives cannot see CD media. The drivers are cdr4_2k.sys and cdralw2k.sys. The DVD Drives are Samsung TS-H552B and Pioneer DVR-106D. Firmware is up to date.

The questions are

1. What do I replace them with?
    2. How do I install the new ones and remove the old ones?
    3. Which are the best drivers to replace with?

Here's the Help Trouble Shooter info
    Issue Description:

A CD-recording driver is installed that might cause stability problems, including problems shutting down and problems using a CD/DVD drive. This driver will be disabled.
    This driver might have been installed by Easy CD Creator, Windows Media Player or RealJukebox. You might not be able to record CDs until you obtain compatible drivers.

Roxio, Inc. provides an update for Easy CD Creator users at the Easy CD Creator Updates Web site.

For Windows Media Player users, see the Microsoft Web site at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...wsxp/roxio.asp.

For RealJukebox users, see the RealNetworks Web site at http://switchboard.real.com/rj2/?cd=xpfix.

Hi Ashocka, welcome to wd forums.

This is all to do with things called 'class filter drivers' - these aren't drivers like other devices have individual drivers, but they affect anything 'cd/dvd' if introduced by 3rd party software such as easy CD. Each 3rd party product effectively adds its own 'writing driver' when installed, due to lovely programming concepts like class inheritance & undeclared forwards, its forever going wrong ..

Read the section in this forums sticky about 'class filter drivers' & try the kb referenced there .

Thanks. I followed all the advice. The DVD burning was working okay a while back, but when I manually deleted the drivers I lost my drives, but when I restored them I got write errors when burning DVD data.

I have been coping by putting my CD material on my Linux machine and then burning that back onto DVD so that I can import files onto the win machine.

After I had done everything you recommended, I still can't see CD material (which I can cope with given the Linux workaround). But what has happened now is that when I burn DVD on the win machine, everything seems to burn okay, you can see the physical grooves on the DVD, but both machines see a blank DVD (I have multi session turned off).

May be a case of a fresh Win install AGAIN .

Thanks
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Ashocka
    ..After I had done everything you recommended, I still can't see CD material (which I can cope with given the Linux workaround). But what has happened now is that when I burn DVD on the win machine, everything seems to burn okay, you can see the physical grooves on the DVD, but both machines see a blank DVD ...
    So we made it worse ? .. which I suppose at least confirms its more likely s/w than anything else , .

You must have added some software though to be trying a DVD burn ? (windows can't do it), so at the risk of being a PITA, did you test your system for CD capability before adding anything else ? (probably not) - so I guess we need to repeat this excercise, but don't add any 3rd party burning software until we've established that windows can do it (as it should be able to), because adding 3rd party s/w assumes that everything is already right & slaps on another layer of interaction based on the first layer being right - we know it ain't