USB2.0 Cardbus shuts system down?

Thread: USB2.0 Cardbus shuts system down?

USB2.0 Cardbus shuts system down?

I have just installed a new USB2.0 PCMCIA Cardbus onto my notebook computer... followed all the install instructions yada yada. All whent well untill i connected the power lead which caused an instant power off. This i feel is not a desirable outcome. I am running XP SP2 Home with all current updates, any sugestions would be greatfully accepted

OK. I'm lost. What laptop do you have? What do you mean the system shut down when you connected the power lead? Did the system crash when you connected the AC adapter? Was the USB adapter connected to a device, or just plugged into the computer? Brands of products involved and installed Service Pack info is always helpful.

The computer is an Optima Centoris with a 2 gig processor (celeron). The power cable that caused all the problems is the one that supplies power to the card from the PS2 port. When I said that the computer shut down... it did just that, I cant say that it crashed but just INSTANTLY closed the computer off. That is screen OFF power OFF, absoluty dead with no warning. After I removed thepower suply for the card everything started up as per normal.

If I just plug the card in without the power supply to it from the PS2, windows recognises it and the device manager shows it to be installed and functioning correctly. The card appears to be a VIA VT6212 but I cant be sure (got it off Ebay and came with an unmarked driver cd and has no obvious id on the card)

Did u get a fix for this problem?

Hi Billsie, I have exactly the same problem. Same type of Ebay card powers down any notebook. Tried Dell, Toshiba, Sony. Did you find a solution?
    Cheers, Paul

I fixed the PCMCIA card

It turned out that the power cable between the cardbus card and the pc ps2 connector has been wired incorrectly. The + was connected to the outer terminal and the - to the inner terminal of the power connector. I just cut the cable in half, and soldered the wires crossed and put a bit of heatshrink over it. It works like a dream!!!

Glad you are up and running! Still, feel I must make a nasty comment about electronics bought on EBay. I have serviced lots of customer purchases which have been mostly bad. Lots of fraud, lots of junk. You can find E-Tailers who have better stuff.