Outlook most-used list?

Thread: Outlook most-used list?

Outlook most-used list?

In Outlook, when addressing an email, if you have previously sent an email to Joe Schmoe, then all you need to do is type in "s" and a list of every name and address with a word beginning with "s" will be available for you to pick Joe's address out of the list.
    Personally, I just click the "To:" button and then type "s". It's just one click, but my users feel that this is a horrendous added difficulty when I deliver a new computer if the list isn't populated exactly like the old one.

If a shortcut isn't on the desktop, they say the entire application is GONE! They won't go to Start, Programs, Microsoft Office, Word. In Internet Explorer, they don't want to use Favorites. They'd rather use the little drop-down list (typed URLs). Never mind how totally volatile that list is and how critical the links in that list are to performing their jobs.

Because my users are untrainable on these things, and the people at my company that specializing in computer training don't know much about computers either, if I can export the registry keys or files from the old computers and import them into a user's new computer, then everyone's happy. I've already been doing that with typed URLs in IE6.
    Irritating or not, I aim to please. Since it would just be one more line to my current ExportOldPC.bat file, it won't be any more trouble for me, once it's figured out.
    Does anyone know where the Outlook list for most recently used email addresses hides at?
    Is it in the registry, or a file?
    I've searched but haven't found it. It has to be a user setting, not global. So it has to be in HKCU in the registry, or in the user's profile folders on the hard drive.

I hope this isn't toooo geeky.
    Thanks.

I don't know the answer - But I know how to Google
    Here is a HINT
    http://www.outlookpower.com/issues/i...001583001.html

It is suggested that if you delete the NK2 File -
    C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\MS Exchange Settings.NK2
    -
    than all the cached addresses will be lost - Than it is only Logically to presume that this is where it stores the cached data...

I ask two things -
    Tell me If I am correct
    PM me with the ExportOldPC.bat that you still have - we can learn from Each other.

Thank you,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Aye, the nk2 file should do the job. Believe I have exported it before to obtain the desired result but it's been a while.

Let us know if it works.

emr

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Nice, I just might put that to use.

Up until now, I've just told people to suck it up and quit whining when they bipped about this. - I tell them "it wasn't like that originally, until you used that address, so you must know how to do it the other way as well."

The other thing that annoys me is people who insist on using auto-complete in the IE address bar as the only way of "saving" a website. Then they freak when they get a new PC or auto-complete gets cleared because I deleted their "Favorites", so I have to explain yet again what "Favorites" are and how to use them.

[/end rant]

It's nice to know what the secret is.

That confused me, though...
    I am a script monkey. I have a terrible memory so I work off lists. There's no better list than a batch script. It executes all the things I need to remember to do, and it does it FAST. As I find something needs to be added, I tweak it.
    I have a migration script. (I like it much more than Microsoft's "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard".) One of the things my migration script does is copy all the files in the user's old profile to the new one. The NK2 file gets copied automatically:
    xcopy /Y /E "%mapC%:\Documents and Settings\%user%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\*.n*" "%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\"
    Even though I didn't know it, I was saving this stuff anyway.

But something is wrong. When the new computer is set up, the NK2 file is now OUTLOOK.NK2. The old file is MS Exchange Settings.NK2. So it's not getting hooked up.
    I need to add a following line to rename MS Exchange Settings.NK2 to OUTLOOK.NK2 as follows:
    ren "%userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\*.NK2" Outlook.NK2
    These two lines tested good on my two computers.
    The lists are now populated the way my whiny users like (so now this whiny tech support guy can also shut up).
    Thanks, guys. That's slick.

@Gabriel
    You're a better Googler than I. I wasted half an hour apparently Googling the wrong keywords. I got nothing.
    Here's my ExportOldPC.bat (much of these exports are for future reference only when the old PC is gone):

rem EXPORTREG.BAT
    @ECHO OFF

if not exist c:\reg md c:\reg

regedit /e c:\reg\desktop.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop"
    regedit /e c:\reg\mouse.reg "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse"

REM Outlook settings
    regedit /e c:\reg\Outlook.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Outlook"

REM Export the IE settings
    regedit /e c:\reg\IETypedURLs.reg "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs"
    regedit /e c:\reg\IEmain.reg "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main"
    regedit /e

REM Export printers
    regedit /e c:\reg\printers.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Connections"
    regedit /e c:\reg\devices.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Devices"
    regedit /e c:\reg\PrintPorts.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PrinterPorts"
    regedit /e c:\reg\DefWinPrinter.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows"

REM Export ODBCs
    regedit /e c:\reg\HKCU_ODBC.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ODBC"
    regedit /e c:\reg\HKLM_ODBC.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC"

REM Export all software (for references)
    regedit /e c:\reg\HKCU_Software.txt "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software"
    regedit /e c:\reg\HKLM_Software.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE"