linu and DVE

Thread: linu and DVE

Post linu and DVE

I'm new to digital video editing.

I am currently doing some digital video editing for a small weekly program which airs on the local cable access channel. Our system is an AMD Duron 800MHz w/ 256 MB RAM 30GB hard drive and Nvidia GeForce2 (ASUS 7100) with WIN98SE and Ulead Video Studio. This system works fine except for the 4GB file size limit.

My question is this: Would it be feesible to spec out a linux system to use for this purpose or would I be better off just upgrading to WIN2000?
    (I've aready decided against XP because of the licensing agreement).

What recomendations would you have for hardware? How about software?

Is there anyone out there actually doing this that could give some advise?

PizzaMan

Pizzaman, there is a guy called Scuba in the chatroom who does this for a living, you need to talk to him, come in the chatroom, or find one of his posts and mail him.

Also a guy called Auric has done a lot of this too and will be able to help as well.

See you in there
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

There is a guy that I work with that is into video editing as well. He has tried just about everything from WinXX to BeOs, He likes Win2k the best for editing. As far as system specs, If your video card is fine (for vid. capture) and meets your needs, I would say go for Win2k.
    *Edited by Sowulo*

Thanks to A d e p t for the avatar!!!!

Im done here

I understand that you use the GF video in to capture the material.
    I'd sugest to get a Pinnacle DC30 card.
    it have a patch to overcome the file size limit and will give you beter performances and options.
    If you are really into editing I'd suggest to even look for more expencive card with Real time options and or XLR audio connections.
    If you are into Video Editing : <a href="http://www.highvid.com" target="_blank">www.HighVid.com</a>

Hey, thanks for the advise. I did upgrade to WIN2K and am still ironing out the wrinkles.
    I have everything working, but not as well as I would like. I'm probably going to end up starting over with a fresh install of everything. I'll just have to wait until a have a full day that I can give to it.

Also got MGI VideoWave 4.0 It seems to be much more user friendly than VideoStudio

PizzaMan

Personaly I work with Premier 6.01
    More professional them Ulead MS 6 and MGI.
    Also the editing cards that i use require spesial drivers and Plugins that are avelable only for Premier and Speed Rasor.

If you are interested in a small friendly program - Check out - <a href="http://www.alamdv.com" target="_blank">www.alamdv.com</a>
    If you are into Video Editing : <a href="http://www.highvid.com" target="_blank">www.HighVid.com</a>