MS Windows AntiSpyware v1.0.615 (Beta)

Thread: MS Windows AntiSpyware v1.0.615 (Beta)

MS Windows AntiSpyware v1.0.615 (Beta)

excerpt:

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) is a security technology that helps protect Windows users from spyware and other potentially unwanted software. Known spyware on your PC can be detected and removed. This helps reduce negative effects caused by spyware, including slow PC performance, annoying pop-up ads, unwanted changes to Internet settings, and unauthorized use of your private information.

Continuous protection improves Internet browsing safety by guarding more than 50 ways spyware can enter your PC. Participants in the worldwide SpyNet community play a key role in determining which suspicious programs are classified as spyware. Microsoft researchers quickly develop methods to counteract these threats, and updates are automatically downloaded to your PC so you stay up to date.

Download: Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware v1.0.615 Beta
    Homepage: Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta

So, like, do you get a little cheque from Redmond each time you post verbatim a press release for their products?

How about using this forum to post your experiences with the product and noting its pro/con points and continuing beta hiccups, rather than just sticking up an ad - albeit for freeware?

I use the MSAS / Giant product and its not bad - but, like any antispyware product, I certainly wouldn't rely on it alone. And, like I said, it's got some beta hiccups still.

And, in typical MS fashion, rather than fix the problems, it seems that they have simply chosen to extend the beta period and eventual release date of the final version (also see Longhorn....).

No, I dont receive a cheque.

I use 3 products, Spybot/Adaware/MSAS, along with common-sense while browsing, an updated AV, a Firewall and a HOST file.

As far as MS-AS, even as a beta tool, its extremely good, as I find myself using it more and more as a first choice for cleaning a system as comapred to the more common two (spybot/adaware)

Many users have a habit of not updating their products and also not bothering to follow simple ways to protect themselves from getting infected.

I'd rather MS delay the final launch of any software/operating system as far back as need be, so they can test it and get as many bugs out as possible. MS fix plenty of problems, they have a large user base and as such more problems show up, I dont know that many other OS vendors that have such a large user base.

Cool

Microsoft doestend to buy the best.

Just remember to not rely specifically on any one spyware tool -- they all have their faults. Like MSAS-B's... which is that Gator was downgraded to 'ignore', along with several other programs.

And in defense, no beta period is too long, especially if it helps ferret out bugs/quirks.

Finally: TechZ isn't doing any different than what he usually does: putting the official words of the publisher up (and marking them as such), with a link so that a reader can make their own decision.
    Last edited by 10of40; July 22nd, 2005 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Too one-sided originally. -.-;;
    "I aspire sir, to be better than I am." -- Data, Star Trek: Nemesis

Yup, buy enough companies (or kowtow to threats) and you won't have a spyware list worth the HDD space...

;-)

I'm sure TechZ that your intention was good in the initial posting, but jeez, its not news we can't find elsewhere as supplied by MS. The user who doesn't have a current AV/Spyware product or doesn't bother to keep the one they have updated is unlikely to be swayed otherwise by the verbatim press release you posted - and those who do probably don't need to read it.

I use MSAS/ Spybot / Ad-Aware / a-squared / SpywareBlaster / CWShredder, use ZoneAlarm Free for my software firewall (and my wireless router has its own), use a daily updated/scanned AVG 7 Free as my AV program and use the Maxthon browser to kill off popups and most ads. Its about as 'safe' as one can manage without going completely overboard.

And most of the programs have a least one reference update a week to keep abreast of the troubles out there...

Are all our prayers answered? Yes they are; what people that ask that question often don't realise is that sometimes the answer to our prayer is No.

From 'Sister Mary Ignatius Explains It All For You' by Christopher Durang