TDK 880N CD DVD R/RW Does not read ANY media

Thread: TDK 880N CD DVD R/RW Does not read ANY media

TDK 880N CD DVD R/RW Does not read ANY media

After cleaning my system of spyware using several registry and anti-spyware
    free and shareware programs, AND after getting a message on reboot saying that ElbyCheck has detected a corrupt Filter Driver PxHelp20
    This driver will prevent your CD-Roms to work properly.
    I took the option to delete this file. I rebooted and found that
    Windows XP could no longer find my CD ROM which is a TDK 880N DVD CD R/RW device. I resintalled "CloneCD" that did not help. I finally found that the power connections were loose, then my system could read the device, Nero, Roxio and Windows XP shows the TDK 880N DVD CD R/RW device is online, BUT it will not read ANY blank, or pre-recorded CD DVD or any that I have burned.
    I tried deleting all references to the device and the two ide channels out of Device manager and letting the system search and find the device but it still could not read any discs. I tried deleting upper and lower filter referencesin the registry but that did not help. I un installed and reinstalled Nero but that did not help. I updated the Firmware for the TDK 880N DVD CD R/RW but that did not help.

I found three references to TDK 880N DVD CD R/RW in: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\I DE\CdRomTDK_DVDRW880N___________________________1. 36___
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\I DE\CdRomTDK_DVDRW880N___________________________1. 34____

I removed the last one removed the last one but the others could not be removed.Just as well for I had backed up the registry but now I cannot restore the backup to the registry.
    Last edited by BlaineIII; July 21st, 2005 at 06:17 PM.

Welcome to wd forums Blaine.

So you seem to have been having fun !?! ... I'd say probably the best way forward from where you are now is to run a repair install of xp Like so , once you can hopefully boot after that we'll see if we can fathom out what might be ammiss .

Nero Roxio and Clonecd do not usually all work together on a system

We explained that to you in chat today.
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    Welcome to wd forums Blaine.

So you seem to have been having fun !?! ... I'd say probably the best way forward from where you are now is to run a repair install of xp Like so , once you can hopefully boot after that we'll see if we can fathom out what might be ammiss .
    I can't because the CD/ROM does not work. I tried safe mode and booting from cd and that does not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayet
    Nero Roxio and Clonecd do not usually all work together on a system

We explained that to you in chat today.
    It works on mine fine for over a year. That did not create the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BlaineIII
    I can't because the CD/ROM does not work. I tried safe mode and booting from cd and that does not work.
    Are you totally sure about the cabling, as you had trouble earlier ? (& I mean the ide cables as well as power & have you tried {if possible}with different cables ?) .. if you can't get your machine to boot from a known good system disk, then things for your drive don't look so hot.

(given you've also updated your unit's firmware on this drive too, can you say its been working since then ? I can't figure it out from your answer, I think not ? - Is it possible to test the unit elsewhere ? to make sure the firmware update has 'taken right' ?)

I have only one ultra ata cable, in this area I have to order just about any computer part so I have not tested any other cables.