Well that's next year all screwed up
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Well that's next year all screwed up

Well that's next year all screwed up

They cancelled the last year of college I was to start in September....

I have just completed the 2 year feeder course and September was to be the start of the 3rd and final year giving me a Batchelor of Science (Honours) Computing... cept they decided to kill the course. The next nearest place that does the course is 100 miles away.

You will understand that I am somewhat peeved.

I honestly thought that this edumacation business was gonna be a dream come true - sucks be to me.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Well, your avatar is a vacuum cleaner - j/k - Sorry
    The early bird may get the worm; but the second mouse gets the cheese!

So can you not do a CATS degree instead ? .. (toodles off to look for a link .. like so ? )

There's definate plusses to this approach , even though you've got to come up with a list of modules from your colleges ciriculum that will create you enough points to pass, you can pick what suits you much better, even if you will end up with a crazyly long degree title

EDit: I had to think really hard on just what my degree title is (having a CATS degree myself) .. normally I just say BSc in Business Computing, but my full degree title is BSc Business Computing, with studies on advanced AI systems, with advanced database techniques with Augmented System Test project & studies.. (so that's the name of my two years core studies, as the main title, & then my module titles (2 doubles) & my disertation outline title) -a tremendous 'gob full' but still a BSc hons.
    Last edited by confus-ed; July 22nd, 2005 at 06:44 PM.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    EDit: I had to think really hard on just what my degree title is (having a CATS degree myself) .. normally I just say BSc in Business Computing, but my full degree title is BSc Business Computing, with studies on advanced AI systems, with advanced database techniques with Augmented System Test project & studies.. (so that's the name of my two years core studies, as the main title, & then my module titles (2 doubles) & my disertation outline title) -a tremendous 'gob full' but still a BSc hons.
    No wonder you're so confused....

j/k
    Sergeant WOTPP

Yes, Noo-Noo, that sucks, but there is so much distance learning available now that I don't think you will any problems transferring your credits and completing your degree. Pretty sure you can Google a solution, or check out Bear's Guide. Borders are irrelevant today.

Well that's a disappointment indeed! I certainly hope you can figure out a suitable way around it...

Thats just horrible, hope it gets better. Any reason why they suddenly want to stop the programme?

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    Thats just horrible, hope it gets better. Any reason why they suddenly want to stop the programme?
    bums on seats ....
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    bums on seats ....
    Can't they just kick the bums out... or use another room...

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus
    Can't they just kick the bums out... or use another room...
    Stop stealing my gags .. too few 'fool'

That sucks. Perhaps you can use the credits gained so far to transfer into an Open University Course, though I reckon it'd take longer (and thus cost more!) to complete and graduate.....

Sorry Noo, I was about to start a new college course in Industrial Electronics, but the professor died of electrocution yesterday. fitting.

so I kinda feel your situation, but I would have just been starting. You've been through the starters and all. Good luck finding a new college/course/professor!
    My specs: 900 MHz AMD T-Bird, Asus K7M Mobo., 256 MB RAM (two 128 MB Kingston SD PC-100), GeCube Radeon 9200 SE 128mb (drivers were impossible to find...still crashes because of them every now and then...i think its them...), Sound Blaster Live! 5.1, new high-speed USB 2.0 card, dual 60 GB HDD's for the heck of it (NTFS), XP Pro SP 2, Mozilla Firefox (Spread Firefox!), single-barrel carberator, Saitek P2500 Rumbleforce, (Yes, the system is dated, but it fits my budget!) - Sockhatguy

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    They cancelled the last year of college I was to start in September....

I have just completed the 2 year feeder course and September was to be the start of the 3rd and final year giving me a Batchelor of Science (Honours) Computing... cept they decided to kill the course. The next nearest place that does the course is 100 miles away.

You will understand that I am somewhat peeved.

I honestly thought that this edumacation business was gonna be a dream come true - sucks be to me.
    Why don't you just call the school and ask them what they recommend. Maybe they have some alternatives. I'm sure they're not just going to dump out on X amount of students like that. I'm sure there must be other students in the same situation as you. Go explore your options and choose one.

Anyway,.. this is why I hate school. Too much drama. Gotta stand in this line and that line and stand in long lines for books and the schedules and classes always change and it's always a big mess. I'd rather just learn on my own.
    Hello World

Zoicks, that's a tough break! I am positive you will find a solution, be it an alternative degree path, another university, or whatever. Webby is right in saying that they should have resources available to help you complete your degree. The hard thing is to find and access them. Best of Luck!
    I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.

Well there is a chink of light....

Slough Campus of Thames Valley University (who recently took over Reading College) are offering to take us straight into the 3rd year of their Applied Computing degree course and do all the paperwork.

Pro: Course is taught by Professors and Doctors not "teachers"
    Cons: Is 50% further away towards London - getting there is going to be a nightmare.

Going to have a look see on Thursday. My only fear is that they will expect that we have covered the same stuff as the first two years... given my luck, I will probably be a module short and have to catch up... but we will see.