[RESOLVED] Freakin' &*$^&#*&# printer!!!!

Thread: [RESOLVED] Freakin' &*$^&#*&# printer!!!!

RIOT

Post Freakin' &*$^&#*&# printer!!!!

Okay... I have a Lexmark (IBM) 4039 laser printer with a duplexer (SP?) attached to it. This printer is attached to a one week old IBM computer running Win98SE. The printer, computer, and the other computer I'll mention later are all located at a branch that connects to an AS/400 and a Win2K server through a WAN link. The bank I work for uses software called Jack Henry ran centrally off an AS/400. The computers use a 5250 Emulator to access the software and perform whatever banking software task it needs. To perform the task one "task" emulator session must be open; to print on the printer, a emulator "printer" session must be open that is linked to the regular "task" session. This printer is installed in the regular fashion using "Add Printer Wizard". Then the "task" and "printer" sessions are configured to use this printer. I've also shared this printer out on the network.

Now... When a customer service rep opens a new account on this computer, she prints about 5-6 forms from the AS/400 (accessed from the "task" session) to the printer connected to the PC she's at (accessed through the "printer" session). The last form almost always is printed wrong with text in a certain area being jumbled and/or some areas on the form being left off. If only this last form is printed, it usually comes out right. Also, there is a loan officer that needs to print loan forms on this printer. I set the printer up as a network printer on her PC using "Add Printer Wizard". The loan software that prints the form is located on the Win2000 server. Every form she tries to print comes out as jibberish.

Got all that?

Here's everything I've tried to get the printer to print both the AS/400 forms and the Loan software forms correctly.

1. The printer was originally attched to a crappy PC Clone running Win95 that I'm told would lock up, crash, etc at least once per day. The bank purchased a new computer (the IBM) because my boss and I thought the PC Clone was the problem because of how screwed up it was. I set up the new computer, attached the printer, set up the emulator (both the "task" and "printer"), shared the printer on the network, and set up the printer on the loan officers computer. Still had the same problem.

2. Went to another branch that uses almost the exact same setup (same model printer, different type PC, uses emulator sessions for tasks and printing), but prints with no problems. I printed the setting on the printer (font type, if duplex is on or off, etc.). I went back to the other branch and changed the setting that weren't the same so that the printers had the exact same settings. Still didn't work.

3. I went to Lexmark's website and downloaded new drivers. Still doesn't work.

4. I took a different printer of the same model and switched it out with the one that didn't work. STILL DOESN'T PRINT RIGHT!! And after switching the printers and reinstalling the drivers Wordperfect doesn't print right now!!!

The printer has 12 MB of memory... that should be enough to print nothing but text, right? The other printer at the other branch has only 12 MB, and it does fine. I think it could be that I messed up when setting up the emulator sessions, but why would that screw up just printing from windows? I'm going to check the setting on the new printer to make sure they match the printer that worked at the other branch. I would like to simply order a brand new printer, but I have no real purchasing authority--especially with a purchase this big. My boss doesn't want to order a new printer because he said they cost about $2K US. I haven't checked for myself, yet.

That should be all my ranting for now. If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know. I REALLY would like to stop receiving phone calls about this %$#*&#@ printer!!!

PS Sorry this is so long

------------------

[This message has been edited by RIOT (edited September 10, 2001).]

Argh

Are you using Client Access Express for your 5250 display/print sessions? What version/service pack level?

RIOT

The connection client version is Version 3 Release 2 with Service pack SF59923. The 5250 emulation is IBM eNetwork Personal Communications AS/400 Client Access/400 for Windows 95/NT. I couldn't find a version for it.

I've recently tried copying the drivers from the computer and printer that work at the one branch to the computer and printer that don't work. That didn't work though.

Argh

I'm not sure if this will work but try using a PDT (Printer Definition Table) for a different printer (like a HP Laserjet III). In your printer session, go to:
    File->Printer Setup...

From the dialog box that comes up, check the "Use PDT" checkbox. You should see a button labeled "Select PDT...". Click on it and you'll be prompted to select a PDT file. Try using the one for the HP Laserjet III (file name is "hpljiii.pdt").

What this will do is allow you to bypass the Windows drivers and use the PDT definitions so you can make your printer "behave" like it was a LaserJet III whenever you print something through the AS/400 printer session. This applies only to printing in Client Access sessions so it won't affect printing through other Windows apps.

This is what I usually do as a last resort when we have some odd printer that just doesn't seem to print correctly through the printer sessions.