I am Glad I am Not Rich Today

Thread: I am Glad I am Not Rich Today

I am Glad I am Not Rich Today

We have had a fair bit of rain and wind here in town in the last few days. It is unusual for winter here in the tropics and I even put a pair of socks on yesterday cos my feet were cold. I did not concede to wearing long sleeves though. Apparently we have been having king tides as well which hasn't gone so well for one of Cairns beachside villages. The house there aong the esplanade are in the multi million dollar mark and whenever I drive past, I can only dream.

Being the tropics and having the barrier reef offshore, there is no surf as such. Half foot waves are considered to be large and the beach is only a couple of metres from the embankments. There are rock walls along there but i have always thought the houses which would be less than 10 metres from the waterline in places, would be in trouble if a cyclone hit or a big storm.

It came true yesterday with some house having the surf come in their loungerooms.

But now the residents are complaining and blaming the council, for not doing enough to stop the sea beforehand...

well der I say....you build castles in the sand and this is what happens...The sea is the sea, she will have her way.......

Yeah its all well and good to have a multi million dollar seaside view but to whinge when nature reclaims it's own...... get real

News Article

Emergency workers using earthmovers worked through the night to shore up dunes to stop king tides swamping homes on Cairns's northern beaches in far north Queensland.

State Emergency Service (SES) spokesman Daryl Camp said strong winds had whipped up the spring tides to abnormal levels over the past three nights.

He said last night at Clifton Beach, along the Arlington Esplanade, the situation had been particularly bad - with waves breaking across the road and at the point of entering people's houses.

"To combat that, the Cairns City Council has built up some very large sand banks and the SES were sand bagging around people's properties," he said.

The above pic was taken from the real estate for sale link below. It was taken from the backyard of the property for sale in the suburb next to Clifton Beach which is mentioned above. The pics here show how close the development is to the sea and the waterline.

Property For Sale

And Another
    Last edited by Mayet; July 23rd, 2005 at 11:20 PM.
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666

Quote Originally Posted by Mayet
    now the residents are complaining and blaming the council, for not doing enough to stop the sea
    LOL. Visions of mayor doing a Canute on the shoreline

Mayoral gestures "Back you waves, back I say... obey me... "

Happens in spades over here too. People have the temerity to demand federal assistance when a hurricane's storm surge destroys their waterfront houses.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

The Hitchikers Guide to the Universe - Mostly Harmless - Douglas Adams