DVD Burner Blues
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DVD Burner Blues

DVD Burner Blues

Hello from the 'New Guy". Ok, here is my problem...

I had an NEC DVD burner awhile back that all of a sudden stopped reading blank DVDs and DVDs that I had burned backup files onto. It would read CDs, blank CDs and would also burn CDs just fine. I had no idea what the problem was. The drive was over a year old, so I trashed it and bought my current drive, Lite-On SOHW-1633S. Well this new drive is only 6 months old and is doing the exact same thing. Windows is reading it as a DVD-RW drive under My Computer and in the drives properties it is reading it with the correct model number. I am baffled. Two drives with the same problem makes it sound like it is an issue with windows and not my drive. If you can give me any insight into this problem, or if you need any other information, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Hi 'new guy'

First question then ,what are you using to burn with ? (mention 'everything' please including any 'virtual drive' type programs or dvd authoring tools, as anything that can write may well add its own stuff {see this forums sticky - 'class filter drivers'}).

..The drive was over a year old, so I trashed it and bought my current drive, Lite-On SOHW-1633S. Well this new drive is only 6 months old and is doing the exact same thing..
    Worked 'in between' ? yes/no .. what o/s ? & 'all patched up' ?

Sorry for the lack of info. I am using Nero 6 OEM that came with the burner and I am running Windows XP pro with SP2 installed. I uninstalled Nero lastnight and switched IDE cables out and it still did the same thing. When I got the Lite-On drive 6 months ago it worked like a champ, and only 3 nights ago did it start to give me problems. I also checked the class filter drivers in my registry. Under the folder [the one with the long name of numbers and letters] I found no high or low filter dirvers.

Hi jonnysako, confus-ed, I found this thread through google. I am having the exact same problem. I have an NEC 2510a OEM that is a little over a year old. It have been great until now. I burn with Nero 6 on Win XP Pro w/ SP2. I have not been able to pin point anything that may have caused the drive to act the way it does. The drive will read cd data, cd audio, dvd data & dvd movies but when a blank DVD is inserted, Windows explorer seems to believe the drive changes to a "CD Drive". Nero however still recognizes the drive as a DVD-RW and will actually burn a DVD data disc. That disc however is not readable in any other drive.

Here are the things I have checked so far. According to the Nero Infotool, my System ASPI installation is corrupt. But the Nero ASPI installation is fine. I have since installed new ASPI drivers but this does not satisfy the Nero Infortool. Here is a screenshot:

click to enlarge (pops)

Just today I used the Filter Driver Load Order. Here are the results:

I was ready to toss this drive and buy a new one until I saw jonnysako's message here. I would appreciate any and all help.

Thanks.

Red face

A firmware update may be the cure for this problem. If windows "sees" that there is a bios/firmware update available for the cd device, it will disable it , but NOT TELL YOU !!!! Microsoft doesn't scan your computer. SURE they don't. :butt:
    Good luck, hope this helps [ has helped me ].
    there will be plenty of time to sleep after I'm dead....

I found what appears to be the same kind of issue in this thread:

http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=70973

I am going to try these solutions. Will re-post my results.

Well my firmwear is updated [did that lastnight when I found the problem]. I also went into my registry and went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}, and found no class filter drivers at all. There is nothing in the sub folders either. When I run Devfilter it tells me that the drivers are there. It tells me that I have 'redbook' for my upper filter and 'imapi' for my lower filter. If they are not there is it a bad thing, or a good thing. Thanks for the awesome help so far.

Ooooo .. who am I answering ? .. this'll make me confus-ed , normally one issue one thread , so welcome quixin, but we do seem to have 'the same' for once, so as I haven't really figured out the split posts feature (being new to this modding m'larky, & it'll take quite a few edits to make them all make sense on their own), I'll leave it be for now ..

For quixin: ..System ASPI installation is corrupt. But the Nero ASPI installation is fine. I have since installed new ASPI drivers..

Use the links on this threads sticky to get the aspi version from adaptec & tell me/us what the ASPICHK version checking utility has to say about things..

There's also a 'lower class filter' showing on your screen shot which I can't quite make out..

'Upper device filter' is generally 'redbook' (might be 'some other book' {there's various coloured book standards depending on device type}) & lower device filter ought to be 'imapi' .. & its possible to have lots of values in either of those places & it work 'right' as long as those two are there, as well.

For jonnysako: So coming the other way around to you .. can you check your aspi layer now ? as everything else appears to be 'as expected' with your setup so far ..

Both: 'Really' all I'm doing is ploughing you through all the various bits of s/w mismatches that there might be, one worth mentioning on its own is the addition of sp2, if you had any burning software whatsoever installed before adding that, you may need to uninstall the lot, re-run sp2 (& then re-add any subsequent patches, most especially make sure you get the M$ installer 3.1 one), & then re-install, a most annoying procedure (I know ! ), but it sorts out any potential version mismatches.

What we should all remember about drive reliability, is that is all a matter of statistics. A manufaturer may produce a unit with, say, a Mean Time Between Failures of 90,000 hrs. but every Bell curve has two ends. Given the truly lousy state of quality control in just about all areas of the computer industry, a drive that fails after six months is no surprise.

I recently installed a Sony CD-ROM drive that ran for about six hours, and I have a LiteOn burner on my desk that ran 3 days. And aren't RMAs a world of fun, too?

Well, I used the aspichk proggy and there was no layer at all. I installed it, restarted my system, and its still not reading anything that I had burned on DVD. I am thinking, since it will do everything else, I will end up buying a DVD ROM drive just to read the burned media. It's just nutty that two drives from two different companies would end up with the same exact problem. I blame windows and SP2. Lite-On replied to the email that I sent them so I may give them a try also and see if they will do anything about it. If you have anyother info for me, please let me know. I hate giving up without a fight.

Heres an update.

Use the links on this threads sticky to get the aspi version from adaptec & tell me/us what the ASPICHK version checking utility has to say about things..
    I downloaded aspi_471a2.exe and installed. Here is a screen shot of aspichk.exe results:

Still seems to be an issue, i ran the install several times rebooting each time and no change from whats there in the shot.

There's also a 'lower class filter' showing on your screen shot which I can't quite make out..
    I followed the instructions from another thread on removing the filters from the registry. I also uninstalled Nero and re-installed. Here are my new results from the devfilter utility:

That "appears" to be in order now.

I also tried uninstalling the drive completely from the Device Manager, shutting down the system, removing the disconnecting the ide cable and inspected the jumper settings (set for Master). Re-connected the drive, booted Windows back up. Here is were something strange seems to happen. Windows detects the drive for installation, but now in my device manager there appear to be two DVD drives. The NEC and a "Generic DVD-ROM" that was not present before. I do have a second DVD-ROM (SAMSUNG) but it is still on the list. Here is a screen shot of what I'm talking about:

Both drives are using the same drivers, shown here:

Each time I remove either drive, they just re-install right back. I'm getting rather frustrated with this drive. Buying a new drive isn't that big of a deal, but I would rather not if the same problem is going to exist. Also I would rather not format and start from scratch with the OS with so much time invested if that isn't going to solve the problem either. Thanks a million for all your insight.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysako
    Well, I used the aspichk proggy and there was no layer at all. I installed it, restarted my system, and its still not reading anything that I had burned on DVD. I am thinking, since it will do everything else, I will end up buying a DVD ROM drive just to read the burned media
    So xp doesn't have an aspi layer as it doesn't need one (I missed that bit out for clarity, but I see I ought to have said!), however lots of 'pre sp2' s/w thinks it needs one & introduces '1/2 of' the setup needed to use it, running the setup from adaptec at least introduces the whole thing 'properly' (or that's how the theory goes anyway !).

I'm a 'fixer/builder' so I have lots of machines 'laid about' .. at this point I'd run away & put my 'errant dvd' into a known working setup & test that way - I rarely suggest this, as most folks don't have a 'spare' to test with & the 'best' test that is available generally for 'workingness' is the cd boot test .. (& on second thoughts I'm gonna add these 'facts' to 'my sticky' as really there's no way to be certain at all from inside one copy of windoze if we are talking about DVD function)

So before spending cash for potentially no improvement, or discovering your windoze install is just 'mussed up' (you can spend forever & a day looking for some s/w errors) & needs formatting, see if you can arrange to test the unit, in a.n.other beastie ?

Quote Originally Posted by quixin
    .. but now in my device manager there appear to be two DVD drives. The NEC and a "Generic DVD-ROM" that was not present before..
    Can you tell me what is showing in device manager under the heading SCSI & raid controllers ? This could be a pseudo device intoduced by nero (it has a feature for you to use to test burn with) or it might be the 'rump' of some other thing or software that's still lurking that maybe didn't get completely or properly uninstalled, telling me/us whats under this heading ought to reveal the source of what is introducing this 'spurious device' ..

& again if you are able to 'test elsewhere' to be absolutely certain if s/w errors are worth chasing down, that's a definate 'advantage'

Can you tell me what is showing in device manager under the heading SCSI & raid controllers ? This could be a pseudo device intoduced by nero (it has a feature for you to use to test burn with) or it might be the 'rump' of some other thing or software that's still lurking that maybe didn't get completely or properly uninstalled, telling me/us whats under this heading ought to reveal the source of what is introducing this 'spurious device' ..
    Here are the contents of SCSI & RAID Controllers:

I am familiar with the Promise Ultra, that is the controller that came with my WD200G. But I am not familiar with the ST3SHARK Controller, here are the Driver details.

Great idea about testing the drive in another computer, I will take it to work today and test it there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quixin
    ..I am familiar with the Promise Ultra, that is the controller that came with my WD200G. But I am not familiar with the ST3SHARK Controller..
    I think that is a part of alcohol 120 ( a 'virtual drive' type product) .. I did say earlier that you need to remove 'all burning type programs' - maybe you forgot about this one ? Or have possibly attempted to uninstall it manually ?

Wait until you hopefully know that your unit is definately ok, by testing it elsewhere, & then we'll see if we can get rid of this for you .