Help With My Power Supply!!!

Thread: Help With My Power Supply!!!

Help With My Power Supply!!!

I recently ordered a Dell Optiplex GX620 and it comes with a 305 Watt proprietary power supply. I bought a Geforce 6800GT for the computer and the video card recommends at least a 350 Watt psu. I went out and got a standard ATX PSU and it is exactly the same size as the PSU in my Dell only it's a 20-pin connecter and the Dell is 24. Not only that but I heard that a standard ATX PSU will fry the motherboard and/or the power supply itself. I've heard that I'll need this "Dell to ATX converter" to fix the problem...but the converter has only 20 pins as well. I'm also not even sure if the converter is compatible with my system because my Dell motherboard doesn't have this extra connecter...

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/dellconverter.html
    (in the picture there's another little connecter on the left...my Dell motherboard lacks it)

I don't know what to do...I've done a lot of research on this and the results vary. Some people think the ATX PSU will work just fine despite it having a 20-pin connecter as opposed to my Dell's 24-pin connecter. Some think the converter will solve the problem. All I wanna do is get a damned power supply so I can use this video card...Dell doesn't even carry any higher wattage PSUs for this model. WHAT CAN I DO?!1@#!

Smile

If you just got this computer, I would call dell and ask them. A power supply from them would be guaranteed to work.
    HP Laptop 6830s with 4 Gbs ram and a 250gb HDD I run Vista business 64bit. But I have some old computers too.

I'm sorry I screwed up. So Dell doesn't offer any bigger PS? I guess,if you already have the card try it with the 305 watt PS and see if there are issues.Dell probaly sells good PS with there computers or tech support would drive them nuts. PS are not all equal and a 305 PS from Dell can be much better than a 400 PS from some one else.
    HP Laptop 6830s with 4 Gbs ram and a 250gb HDD I run Vista business 64bit. But I have some old computers too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=45342

I know, I know its on ebay but if you search around you can find a converter from somewhere else to convert the 20pin standard to the 24pin Dell.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    I'm not familiar with this brand, so I can't guarantee how good an actual PSU it is, but here's a 430W that can be either the 20 or 24 pin connector.

Also, here's a fairly inexpensive adaptor.
    Last edited by 3fingersalute; July 27th, 2005 at 09:03 AM.

I haven't been able to try the 305 Watt Dell PSU itself because the cable aren't long enough and I doubt it'd be powerful enough anyway. I'm probably going to return this 350 Watt PSU I got and get an even more powerful one with a 24-pin connecter, or I can just get that 20-pin to 24-pin adapter for it. But I still don't know if it's safe for me to just plug my ATX PSU into my computer without any kind of Dell to ATX converter because I think it'll fry the motherboard and/or the PSU itself. From what I've heard Dell made proprietary connections in their computers from 1998 to 2002...so I'm not sure. A Dell tech support guy told me that it was a proprietary PSU but he didn't elaborate about what would happen if I used another PSU or any converters.

A standard ATX power supply plugged into your system will fry it unless you have the converter You will save a little money getting the converter and geting away from the Dell PS.

Would this work?...I use my 20-pin 350 Watt ATX power supply and attach a 20-pin Dell to ATX converter. THEN, I add the 20-24 pin adapter to the converter and then plug it into my motherboard.

Holly s****t balls rajlb1. If the 350 is a standard atx then just get a 20 to 24 pin dell converter and go for it. Your maken my brain work to hard here. LOL

Easiest way out is to buy a Dell compatible power supply from PC Power and Cooling. Your specific model is not listed on their website, but if you call 800-722-6555 I bet they can fix you up. One of the best power supplies made.

PC Power & Cooling

Good stuff! Second that.
    Jim

I already called them and they said that there's nothing they can do for me at this point.