Windows Vista (beta)

Thread: Windows Vista (beta)

Windows Vista (beta)

A beta of WIndows Vista has now been released (as im sure you are alll awhere). well im currently getting it at the mo - going to take a while, so best thought to organise in advance...

I have 2 HDD's, C:\ being the one im using now. I have several programs installed on e:\ but i alwyas run them from C:\ (i also have just about all my data on E:\ as well as its the bigger drive). Anyway, i dont really want to install it onto my C:\ so is it possible to boot the computer up into my E:\ and install it there. Or even, install it from C:\ onto E:\. Plus, will it over ride any data and such, or muck up Windows XP on my C:\ in anyway shape or form. Also, when i do put it onto my E:\, how do i set up the options where i can select which drive to boot from on the computer start up. Thanks for any help provided.

As far as I understand matters (having just talked to somebody & done this 'over the phone' about 15 minutes ago !), you install windows 32 bit first, then boot from your 'beta cd' & make sure you add the install in a seperate partition or better yet on a seperate disk, as if something goes ammiss that's probably only one install 'hosed' instead of both

'He' said it worked anyway !

ok, so after errr....downloading it.............. i put the image onto a DVD (lucky i got that new dvd drive)... partition off a chunk of my E:\ lets say 15 gigs. Then install Vista onto that new partition.

I havent got it yet, so this is just getting me prepared for when i do.

ok, so would it be an idea to partition off say 7 gigs (enough for the Vista install i believe) of my E:\ (the one i dont use other than some programs and data). Then install it onto that partition?

Quote Originally Posted by Titan_Bigtoe
    ok, so would it be an idea to partition off say 7 gigs (enough for the Vista install i believe) of my E:\ (the one i dont use other than some programs and data). Then install it onto that partition?
    Seperate partition or even a seperate disk is 'bestist' - where did you get that figure of 7 gb from ? Afaik at the moment, 3.5gig is the 'recommended' min (that's what some 'readme' said when I was rooting about !), the installer will just spit the dummy anyways if you don't leave enough space to install it into.

So where can I get vista from to try out?

Quote Originally Posted by riddellcomp
    So where can I get vista from to try out?
    Well .. 'all sorts of places' ..

Originally beta 1 for vista was released to a pre-selected group of beta testers, & if you wanted it & weren't on the tester list, then you had to use your 'imagination' on how to aquire a copy, however M$ have realised the level of interest & made it more generally available ..

Windows Vista Beta 1 Distribution