SP2 and disk cleanup

Thread: SP2 and disk cleanup

SP2 and disk cleanup

When I use the disk cleanup utility it promps me to insert my windows XP SP2 CD b/c of the protected files have been modified. When I do so though it still tells me to insert the disc into the drive (tried two different SP2 CDs and verified my drives are fully functional). I've tried inserting it into both of my optical drives and it doesn't work. Also I'd get the same thing if I try to run sfc /scannow. Any suggestions on how I can get this fixed to where it doesn't prompt for the CD or how I can get it to read the CD?

I'd dump SP2 and reload it...that's solved a number of various problems for me.

When you use the SFC /scannow command, the program will look for your installation CD, one inserted you have to hit the enter key, the program will load the file and continue untill it identifies another file to restore, it will then ask you to insert the CD, just hit enter every time it asks for the CD until it quits asking and complets the file restoration.

Quote Originally Posted by tyamada
    When you use the SFC /scannow command, the program will look for your installation CD, one inserted you have to hit the enter key, the program will load the file and continue untill it identifies another file to restore, it will then ask you to insert the CD, just hit enter every time it asks for the CD until it quits asking and complets the file restoration.
    Actually it only prompts me for the SP2 CD, but just for the heck of it I did insert the my windows XP CD b/c I was getting frustrated and it still just told me to insert my SP2 CD.

Quote Originally Posted by shamus
    I'd dump SP2 and reload it...that's solved a number of various problems for me.
    I guess I'll have to try this. I just wanted to avoid it b/c once when I reloaded SP2 it crashed windows and also I didn't want to have to reconfigure a few of my things for the XP firewall that comes installed with it. It seems like when I install SP2 I have to spend a lot of time redoing a lot of my settings on some of my programs, but it looks like I may not have a choice.

BTW, if this matters, this issue seems to have occured when my wife installed some CSI game on the computer b/c during the installation that is when the prompt first came up about inserting the SP2 CD.