I've had it with my slow PC and problems, what motherboard would you recommend? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: I've had it with my slow PC and problems, what motherboard would you recommend?

UMMM I guess you didnt read too good I said
    Better stay away from those they use a lot of nvidia chipsets
    I didnt say X2 only uses nvidia
    "basically" all socket 939 boards with a bios update will be capable of using the X2 chips
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Just so you know, there are problems with all chipsets. From the sounds of it, you're one of those types of people who have to have everything in the computer and expect it to run smoothly without any hassles... well the more parts there are in a computer, the more chacne there is going to be issues... I used to be like you, having everything plugged into one machine... but my honest opinion is to divide things up... I've moved things across a few systems and alleviated lots of problems doing so... I have my server for internet services I provide mainly for myself and a few friends, then I have another system for my everyday web and IM stuff, then I have my sound system/VCR machine attached to my TV/stereo... I then have an older system that I have my two scanners and 2 printers attached to... then I have my gaming computer... doing this has made it sooooo much easier to run things...

you say you have two 256 mb sticks and yer using 6 usb devices and a 1-4 hub? Combining all you've said tells me this may be why yer computer is taking 10-30 seconds to switch programs... bump that up a bunch and it'll help tremendoulsy, especially on WinXP...

If you want to respond with the "age old" I don't have room... then get yerself a nice KVM and "build up" I've converted mediorce closets into work spaces for customers with the help of my trusty roommate Steve who is a carpenter. I hazard a guess you'll come up with some other lame excuse like "I don't want aluminum nails" or something like that, but seriously... consider it... ever single time I get a customer with stack PCI slots and tons of USB crap there is ALWAYS problems, regardless of chipset, manufacturer, power supply serial number, how tall you are, whether yer suseptable to any diseases, and the like...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Good idea to spread the workload across a few systems, I am considering the same since my SLI system only gives me two PCI slots that are usable, I do the odd recording of TV on my PVR , I may give that job to my other system, then transfer the file for watching on my main PC which has the LCD connected via the DVI port
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

I had no problems whatsoever with eveything the same except the motherboard and before I got that motherboard I never had a problem, so if I get another good one with no nividia chipset it'll run just as good as before.

Also, this PC is normally extremely fast with almost everything being instant, it's just because I haven't formatted in 1-3 years (I don't remember the last time I did, probably when I got this motherboard) and combined with having 100mb of free space on a 160GB raid is why it's running like a retarded 500 year old snail (when I click a program in the taskbar to maximize it, it can sometimes take around a minute to draw the window, and when I minimize everything to the desktop the background image draws extremely slowly, one line of pixels at a time).

I just got my 400 disc DVD player this morning, once I got all my videos into it I'll buy a new mobo, an athlon X2 64bit cpu and prolly 1gb of ram.

and combined with having 100mb of free space on a 160GB raid is why it's running like a retarded 500 year old snail
    uncalled for insult has been -edited-

do you have any concept of ANYTHING called computer maintenance? I'm pretty sure windows requires 250 mb or more to even defrag...
    Last edited by kato2274; August 12th, 2005 at 12:43 PM.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ClickHere2Surf.com
    I had no problems whatsoever with eveything the same except the motherboard and before I got that motherboard I never had a problem, so if I get another good one with no nividia chipset it'll run just as good as before.

Also, this PC is normally extremely fast with almost everything being instant, it's just because I haven't formatted in 1-3 years (I don't remember the last time I did, probably when I got this motherboard) and combined with having 100mb of free space on a 160GB raid is why it's running like a retarded 500 year old snail (when I click a program in the taskbar to maximize it, it can sometimes take around a minute to draw the window, and when I minimize everything to the desktop the background image draws extremely slowly, one line of pixels at a time).

I just got my 400 disc DVD player this morning, once I got all my videos into it I'll buy a new mobo, an athlon X2 64bit cpu and prolly 1gb of ram.
    100mb free on a 160GB raid??

You should always have at least 10% free for optimal performance, which would be 16GB free!!

Hope you have good backups and have nothing mission critical on that system, cause you're just begging for a disaster!!

yeah no offense, but for someone who knows a lot about computers yer not following the simple basic "rules"...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    With the large print jobs you've mentioned that you do, I'd be seriously surprised if you even have enough space for print spooling.

*Sigh* .. in the absence of a megamod, I feel moved to quote a bit of the AUP.

By using these Forums, you agree to the following: ..
    ..You will not behave in an abusive and/or hateful manner, and will not harrass, threaten, nor attack anyone..
    Guys you may have formed an opinion of Clickhere, & to that, you are entitled, however I'd appreciate it at least, if you expressed it less freely, & tried to stay on topic & avoided any flamebait ! .. which imho ain't happening just at the minute !

-ed's right. settle down or I'm turning this van around

seriously, dontcha all think it's getting a tad out of hand now?

what's that old saying......

"if you don't have anything nice to say....."

if you can't be civil toward clickhere, there is this handy feature called ignore, which I would suggest you look into.

that is all. I'm closing this puppy up and editing comments accordingly.
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello