Windows XP Firewall vs. ZoneAlarm Pro Firewall

Thread: Windows XP Firewall vs. ZoneAlarm Pro Firewall

Windows XP Firewall vs. ZoneAlarm Pro Firewall

So, I just broke down and installed Windows XP, and I must admit that it seems faster than Windows 2000.

The question is: Do I continue using ZoneAlarm Pro Firewall, or do I use the built-in Windows XP Firewall ??

Any pros and cons to either ??

TIA

MadDog
    This space for rent.

WinXP's firewall only blocks inbound packets, and in itself has a few limitations, if you are a ZoneAlarm Pro user (as I am), then I'd say continue using it, its very good IMO, and has loads more features than the built-in firewall of WinXP.

ZoneAlarm absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    WinXP's firewall only blocks inbound packets...
    So ? That makes it a firewall, want do you want for free ? .. , if you want 'outs' done too (which is often refered to as whitelisting; where the 'firewall' checks any outgoing program's right to access the outside world) then some other software firewall generally is a much better choice than the '1/2 a job' XP's firewall service provides.

I'd use 'none of the above' .. if you were prepared to put up with M$'s offering, perhaps just use ZA's free version, or if you'd like to be able to write decent rules, kerio or outpost or whatever, might be better choices?

(mostly I think 'pro versions' of free f/w s/w do some ad blocking & not much else !)

For those who want a firewall, other than the XP one, I setup ZoneAlarm free for them, and quite a few of them are happy with it.

Personally, I am a firm believer in a hardware solution for this, as software can be broken. If running DSL/Cable (always on conection), a router, set up properly, ought to be enough. Just check your logs. If you are running a DSL/Cable connnection without a router you're asking for trouble in the first place, so why would you need a software solution? Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW
    Personally, I am a firm believer in a hardware solution for this, as software can be broken. If running DSL/Cable (always on conection), a router, set up properly, ought to be enough. .
    A home router won't & can't protect you from an 'illegal' software process activating a valid port range, for that you need either a local whilelisting service which can identify the process, or something much more sophisticated (firewall wise, as a router isn't really doing that) capable of examing the packets of data.

btw of course all routers are powered by software held in its firmware, usually written about some lightweight core such as linux (routers can & do 'crash' )

Imho your average home user with an 'always on' connection wants both a router & some software firewall (other than winows own ! which only does 'ins' )

I've been using ZoneAlarm 2005 Security Suite and have been quite happy. Its not perfect (disabling individual ports is not as easy or convenient as I would like) but I recently read a stellar review of the version 6 from PC Magazine, and they have added some very enticing features.