help win xp wont boot

Thread: help win xp wont boot

help win xp wont boot

ok guys im new to this so if i sound like an idiot just let me know!

serious one here that i hope someone more knowledgeable than me can help with

there was a power cut and my computer was turned of, when i turned it back on windows failed to boot, i got the usual start up stuff but just as it was about to go to the password screen it re-started and tried to boot again.

having put the windows xp cd in and tried to boot from that, it told me that the file tffsport.sys was corrupted so i had to restart my computer

i tried to run automated system recovery from the windows xp cd but it then asked for the floppy disk labeled "automated system recovery" or something, i don't have this disk, i don't even have a floppy drive (laptop) and now am completely clueless as to what to do

i have reports and stuff that needs to be handed in tomorrow and cannot get them off my computer

if anyone has ANY clue about anything that could help me their input would be much appreciated

im getting desperate here!!

Welcome to Windrivers owen080808
    Put you xp cd in and boot from cdrom as you did before... this time allow the setup to run ALL the way to the screen where it asks you which partition you would like to use for the install - ignore the first recovery option completely.

When it displays that screen it will display a further recovery option to repair an existing installation. Chooose that. It has the effect of installing over the top and your programs are preserved - except where those programs are causing a problem.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

a similar problem

the same thing is happening to me when i try to run the xp cd on my other desktop. it says the file tffsport.sys is corrupt and hten makes me restart. it doesnt let me get to the partition section, doesnt even finish loading the setup before this error occurs. any idears?

thx

cheers

Can either of you 2 hit F8 at the start and go to the recovery consul and type
    chkdsk /r
    that would be chkdsk(space)/r
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

OK I just put together a new system loaded Win XP fine but now when it boots up I get the Windows start screen with the scrolling bar. then my screen goes black and nothing. I can boot up in safe mode just fine but can't find anything that might be causing the problem. Any suggestions?

2.4 gHz P4
    MSI PT880-NEO mobo
    Western Digital 80 Gig HD
    Nividia TNT Graphics card

Danman seen a couple do this recently to me. Try going in safe mode remove the video card completely and reboot
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Since he is new at this you may want to rephrase that suggestion to,"remove the video card drivers in add and remove programs". Wouldn't want the person going into safe mode and physically removing the card from it's slot with it on. Just a thought.

OK I'll try that. I have an ATI Radeon 9600 that I am going to use. Would I be better off pulling my old card and just trying to install the new one?