Corrupt Attribute List Entry...

Thread: Corrupt Attribute List Entry...

Corrupt Attribute List Entry...

I just upgraded to Windows XP Pro from W2K Pro, and every 3rd or 4th time I boot up, Chkdsk runs. One of the errors is: "Deleted corrupt attribute list entry with type code 128 in file 20". Also, it deletes some index entries. Once it finally starts, I have no problems....

Can this be related to upgrading to Windows XP Pro, instead of doing a clean install ??

Or, is my hard drive suddenly going bad ??

TIA

MD

Update: Just booted up my computer, and got this: "STOP: C0000218 Registry File failure. The registry cannot load the hive (file) \Systemroot\System32......."

I had to boot from the Win XP CD and run fixboot and chkdsk to fix it.

What's up with that ??

Update 2: Did an in-place upgrade of Windows XP last night. Rebooted a few times with no problems. Keep your fingers crossed......
    Last edited by MadDog; August 10th, 2005 at 12:52 PM.
    This space for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by MadDog
    Can this be related to upgrading to Windows XP Pro, instead of doing a clean install ??

Update 2: Did an in-place upgrade of Windows XP last night. Rebooted a few trimes with no problems. Keep your fingers crossed......
    XP & w2k use fractionally different implementations of NTFS & a clean install of whichever one is always best !
    NTFS has five versions: v1.0, v1.1 and v1.2 found in NT 3.51 and NT 4, v3.0 found in Windows 2000 and v3.1 found in Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. These versions are sometimes referred to as v4.0, v5.0 and v5.1, after the version of Windows they ship with.
    Probably at some point in all of this upgrading something didn't get done 'quite right', hopefully your 'in-place upgrade' ( a reinstall) has fixed up whatever didn't happen first time, or just running chkdsk has corrected any file system errors.

Anyways hopefully its fixed now & will stay that way .

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    XP & w2k use fractionally different implementations of NTFS & a clean install of whichever one is always best !

Probably at some point in all of this upgrading something didn't get done 'quite right', hopefully your 'in-place upgrade' ( a reinstall) has fixed up whatever didn't happen first time, or just running chkdsk has corrected any file system errors.

Anyways hopefully its fixed now & will stay that way .

Thanks for the advice, confus-ed.

I plan on ghosting the hard drive tonight, and if I start having problems again, doing a clean install. I just hate having to re-install all my apps....

MD
    This space for rent.

Update 3:

Had a few more times of chkdsk running when I booted my computer, so did the following:

1) Ghosted C: (120 GB ATA/133 drive) to G: (160 GB SATA drive).
    2) Booted from Windows XP CD.
    3) Deleted old partition on C: drive.
    4) Created new partition on C: drive
    5) Formatted C: drive.
    6) Clean install of Windows XP.

Have not had any problems since. OK, it's only been two days, but that's longer than the XP upgrade lasted before chkdsk reared it's ugly head.

Also, was quite surprised that I had to call Microsoft to get a validation code. Akmesh was quite helpful.....

MD
    This space for rent.