STOP: 0x0000007B inaccessible_boot_device

Thread: STOP: 0x0000007B inaccessible_boot_device

STOP: 0x0000007B inaccessible_boot_device

Hi,

I have a pc which I had to change the mobo on. I don't want to have to reinstall this machine from scratch if I can help it cos it has Apache Web Server, MySQL etc installed which I don't want to have to set up again.
    Anyway, the original mobo had a primary drive which was an IDE drive. The new board has SATA, so I cloned the old drive and installed a new SATA drive as the primary drive. When the machine boots it blue screens with the following:

stop 0x0000007B (............)
    inaccessible_boot_device

I thought it may have been down to the change in hard drive controller, so I tried a repair install and loaded the RAID drivers using the F6 key. Setup copies the files, but on the first reboot during setup, the blue screen appears again.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Cheers

Paul

Put the ide drive back in to confirm that the system will start first off.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

run chkdsk /r from recovery console

Hi,

I have already tried the chkdsk utility, but still no joy.

I will try the IDE drive, however I suspect that it will still fail as it is using a different hard drive controller because of the new mobo.

Cheers

Paul

Forgot to mention that the OS is windows 2000

You might want to run the manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive, or try it on a different machine without booting from it to see if it works. I just got hold of a WD800JD SATA drive with electronics so fried they prevent my SATA controller from initializing.

ghost you SATA hd to a ide HD and then try a repair it should work seen this before works for me

I'v had this same problem with SCSI to SATA. on Windows 2000 server.
    Had to skip the initial repair option screen and go through to do a new install. when at that point install into the current location and it does a repair of that install. Make an image of your HDD first so you can try again if it doesn't work

If I install into the same directory over the top of the current installation, it will erase all desktop settings, Mydocuemts etc, plus non of my apps will work, so this really isn't an option for me as I need to preserve these things.

Cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul.rowling
    ..I have a pc which I had to change the mobo on. I don't want to have to reinstall this machine from scratch if I can help it .. so I cloned the old drive ..

Can anyone suggest anything?
    So not really answering the problem at hand at all ... Errr yeah, get the idea that ghost (or similar) is the tool for this job, right out of your head, its not !!! Backing up your setup minus the hardware keys then restoring that to a fresh install is the way..

(everytime I say this somebody says, 'how do I do that ?' soooo anticipating that, here's how )

The issue here is likely to be 'old hardware' keys present in the image & thus its registry is looking for an IDE controller that isn't there or different, thus the stop error, maybe you can get the 'old disk' to boot (can't see why not) & then this time before you image it, delete any ide controllers & then ghost it, & maybe it'll work 'right', but honestly when ever you are changing hardware, besides just a disk drive, backup & restore present much fewer potential problems than ghosting, even if the process might be a bit more involved ..

On Confus-ed's link read step 8, first point. If the PC doesn't start because of HAL problems, Quote "This type of repair occurs after you accept the licensing agreement, and Setup searches for previous versions to repair. When the installation that is damaged or needs repair is found, press R to repair the selected installation. Setup re-enumerates your computer's hardware (including the HAL) and performs an in-place upgrade while maintaining your programs and user settings." This is what I had to do and the apps all worked.

Hi Gemineye,

Yes, I have tried this repair install already and installed the new RAID drivers (using F6 key), but it still blue screens.
    I'm going to try Confus-ed's suggestion and see how I go.

Thanks

Paul

Thanks for the advice Guys, great help!!

Cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul.rowling
    Thanks for the advice Guys, great help!!
    I take it that means 'mission accomplished' ?

Which way worked as a btw & for future folks ? The 'looong way' (backup & restore) or the 'cheaters version' (where you just delete the ide controllers) ?

Hi,

I did it the long way using ntbackup to backup and then restore.
    Thanks for the info!

Cheers

Paul