Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
So 'Mmmm' .. I think you'll find 'this' (or certainly similar) disclaimers on most of these cables .. I seem to remember that these particular controllers aren't really digital though ? .. but what they are is analogue controllers, using spaced signalling, which is similar but not the same ?
confus-ed, I really don't know "spaced signaling" from anything, so I went to Radio Shack last night and purchased this:
Radio Shack USB Game Port Adapter Model #: 26-164

$16.99 + tax. Brought it home, found my old Gravis Xterminator "Xperience" CD, installed the CD, upgraded the software to Gravis' latest version I have had for five years or so (V.4.50 - which was supposedly able to handle Windows 2000 and Windows XP operating systems. V4.50 was made as an upgrade/patch from Win95 to Win98, WinME, Win2000, and WinXP), connected the Gravis Xterminator Digital Gamepad to the Radio Shack adaptor - so far, everything looked okay.

The Gravis Xterminator "skin" (an on-screen visual representation of the Gravis Xterminator gamepad) showed up ready for "Hot-Key" setting.

Please read on.

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
...I think you are likely to get at least 'limited function' but you may well be in for a lot of checking to get 100% 'guaranteed'...
Uh, how about a LOT of checking for 0% solution? All this checking took hours - using different games, HotKeys - everything.

So here's the big letdown. Please read below. Maybe I missed something.

I went through all four settings for the Radio Shack #26-164 adaptor (Gamepad, Joystick "A", Joystick "B", and Wheel) in the Xterminator "skin", but nothing would respond. I also ran the Gravis Xterminator Digital Gamepad through the XP "Game Controller" utility:

Start-->Settings-->Control Panel-->Game Controllers:

...takes you to the "testing area", and nothing would respond - in any of the Radio Shack DB15 Serial Gameport to USB settings on the Gravis Xterminator Digital Gamepad.

Sure - the XP "Game Controller" utility said there WAS a device, but when I tried to test it, all values read "127". In the X-Y axis testing "box", the pointer was stuck in the upper-left corner of the demo box. Wouldn't budge.

NOTHING worked. The D-pad, the sliders, joysticks, the programmable buttons - nothing.

Radio Shack really meant what they said: "This game port adapter is not recommended for digital game controllers."

So, I am back using the Logitech Dual Action USB gamepad for my new computer - and it was only $3 more than the Radio Shack adaptor. And I still want my old Gravis back.

I guess it is time to retire my very favorite (sniff) Gravis Xterminator Digital Gamepad after all.

Unless someone has a better idea. Please have a better idea.

I need a DB15 pin Serial Gameport plug to USB - but it has to be able to convert a digital (not analog) DB15-pin Serial port gamepad to USB.

And again, confus-ed: thank you very much for your offer of help. It is sincerely much appreciated, and it was well worth the effort to give it "the old college try"!

Thanks!