system slows down while printing

Thread: system slows down while printing

Post system slows down while printing

I have a PIII / 600 WIN 98 SE system with actually 256MB RAM. While printing (on a third party ink jet printer on LPT1 (( ECP Mode)) spooler takes up a quite lot of system performance so that other applications do not or very slow work. Has anyone any idea how to get the problem solved?
    Thanks for answering.

what type of printer. what app are you printing from? did you install all the printer's software, or just the driver?
    It's good to be the King.

It's an APOLLO P- 2200 ( Hardware by HP ) with the aktual printer software from apollo ( driver, toolbox). The problem occours on any printout, no matter from what application I start printing. ( I use MS- Office premium ( updated), Corel Prithouse magic 4 select.
    I guess it has something to do with the Windows spooler. I've tryed to fix the problem by changing all the settings, but it would not get faster.

try uninstalling the print software and just load the drivers. Sometimes I find that the full blown software causes more problems when all you need is the drivers.
    It's good to be the King.

Thanks a lot for answering; I couldndt really solve the problem because the "pure driver" is not supplied so that I have to run the installer for the blown up printer software. But by this way I have learned a lot about apollo ( a 100% HP daughter) and got the newest drivers.
    redskin.

Exclamation

Just for grins, you might want to read up on what HP says about "Slow Printing in Microsoft (R) Windows 3.1x, 9x, NT 4.0, 2000 or Millenium."

Lots of good info there concerning their DeskJets....they will probably apply to your Apollo inkjet also.

Also, you might want to set your LPT port to EPP...ECP allows that port to control more than one device; such as a printer and a scanner...it might be slowing things down a bit.

Just a couple of suggestions...let us know how it goes...Good Luck!
    DonJ
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

Hello, I've tried to change settings according to HP's webbased informations, the port was set to ECP/EPP already because of a scanner connected at the same port.
    All the things didn't really improve performance. I think I will buy a printer with USB if I have to print more than actual.
    But let me thank you for posting.
    redskin

Go here:
    http://www.ap-sure.com/myapollo/supp...oad_00main.htm

and get the latest driver. Also if I'm not mistaken that is a winprinter which means that it will be slower than a real printer.