automating win2k build and extra software on top

Thread: automating win2k build and extra software on top

automating win2k build and extra software on top

Hi,

I've done a search of the forums and couldn't find anything that really helped so hoping somone will answer this.

I'm trying to automate a win2k build (not too difficult with sysprep and answer file etc) but also include several modular 'packages' on top which include office, SP4+rollup+other fixes), readers (ie adobe, autocad viewer etc), etc etc

The idea of these modular packages is that when a new version comes out we can just repackage that particular module and add it back into the build. It would also include drivers for all workstations we have on the network.

Primarily this would be run from a dvd, would auto-detect the hardware and install the correct drivers, then sp4 then all the rest of the modules. Over time we would look to running this from a pxe/network service boot to a library server but the firts challenge is getting it to work off dvd.

The question is this: what software can I use to automate the extra modules to be installed on top of windows? I want to get away from ghost images as before we have maintained one for each hardware type (as there's about 13 including laptops it's very time consuming).

Can anyone offer any suggestions (even if you think there's a better way I can be doing this?)

Thanks all

Rob
    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Its an unattended/automated install youre after.

http://unattended.msfn.org/

The forums there, are a treasure trove of information on exactly what you want to do, and even packaging it all on a dvd.

many thanks
    Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.