DVD-R problem

Thread: DVD-R problem

DVD-R problem

Well I finally got my 400 disc DVD changer meaning I can dumb the 150GB of videos from my packed full hard drive into it and have free hard drive space again. I'm well aware that my hard drive is ridiculously full as was said in my other thread, but I had already deleted all I didn't want to keep but since my PC is my VCR it records a few gigs of TV per week.

The test DVD-R I made on my PC using Nero stutters and hangs constantly in the Sony 400 dvd player, I've confirmed that this is due to a combination of both Nero bugs and nvidia chipset bugs causing data corruption on the burnt DVD, now in case you didn't realize yet, that was a joke.

Seriously, what could be causing this? Should I try a DVD+R instead? The DVD-R plays almost fine in my desktop's pioneer DVD drive, which stuttered once in about an hour VS. nearly constant stuttering in the Sony standalone player. "Real" DVDs play fine on it.

Should I try DVD+Rs or another brand of DVD-R? I'm new to DVD burning so I don't know if this is a common sort of compatibility issue or what.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ClickHere2Surf.com
    ..The test DVD-R I made on my PC using Nero stutters and hangs constantly in the Sony 400 dvd player, I've confirmed that this is due to a combination of both Nero bugs and nvidia chipset bugs causing data corruption on the burnt DVD, now in case you didn't realize yet, that was a joke.

Seriously, what could be causing this?

.."Real" DVDs play fine on it...
    The most likely cause is what you think you are joking about ! How's that for a bit of irony !?! (though some units are just fussy about brand & also possibly formats)

What you want to test with is some 'home made' cd's that you are more sure about, (ask somebody else to burn you a non copyrighted disk perhaps?) & see if things are still as bad, & we'll see where your reply takes us ...

9 times out of ten I find that poor plays are usually due to one thing - bad media.

I don't mean your media is defective, but just that for whatever reason your burner and software burns a ton of errors to it which can't always be corrected. sometimes cheap media works great sometimes it doesn't

the best is generally considered Taiyo Yuden

http://www.cdroutlet.com/page/CDR/PROD/DVD-R47VAL600SK
    at .38 cents a disc it's worth the investment IMO
    Nonsense prevails, modesty fails
    Grace and virtue turn into stupidity - E. Costello

I did burn MP3 CDs and they play fine on it, only my DVD-Rs stutter and I noticed they play fine for maybe the first half of the disc, the stuttering and freezing is only in the last half or so of the disc. This home made DVD-R was not copyrighted (unless something copyrights it automatically somewhere) as it was TV recordinds in divx format which I used Nero VisionExpress to convert and burn to DVD.

The discs I used are Ridata's, I'm trying another burn at 4x (for some reason it's still burning 13 hours later, the estimated time was 3 hours when I started it), and I am burning directly to the DVD with no data being written to the hard drive since it's full.

Is there a site that lists what players work best with DVD-R or DVD+R? This player was just available online since about a week and isn't even in any stores yet so this might be hard to find.

That website doesn't ship to Canada, do you know of any websites with those CDs that ship to Canada? I definately want the best quality discs as these will hold the only copies I'll keep of these videos. Can DVDs hold their contents for at least a decade? I've never really liked optical media and try to avoid it whenever I can, but with this player offering me nearly 4 terabytes (assuming DL discs, which I know are currently too expensive but they should go down eventually) for $329 + disc cost as needed I had to get it as any other way to get 4 TBs would cost many thousands.
    Last edited by ClickHere2Surf.com; August 13th, 2005 at 03:03 PM.

Since the best media I can find is Imation, I use that, DVDR +/-, no difference for me.

But I've seen that Sony has the most sensitive players, and more often than not give problems with anything that is not 100% original, in the sense store bought.

Excellent place to see tested media and compatability:
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia

Remember that the name on the packages isnt necessarily what you are getting inside, many times its made by a different company, just branded by others, and priced accordingly.

DVDs have a long life and I'd rather use normal (4.7gb) DVD's than DL DVD's, for one thing they burn alot slower, and I dont mind have two discs instead of one, and they are still quite expensive here, and dont forget the compatablity issues with many players (firmware upgrades help).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148060
    At the price listed, it would be 1200 US$ for (400GBx5=2000GB) 2TB of storage, and you dont have to invest in all of it at once

I just got genuine Taiyo Yudens (or whatever it's called) on eBay. I've also read on HT forums that the problem I'm experiencing is common on lower quality media or when burning to fast.

I thought Ridata was the best, anyway I'll also try burning them slower, 4x is the least I can select, the one that fails in my sony player was burned at 8x.